macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Oceanviewstudio
    Installing SL besides OSX 5.8
    Greetings, Photoshop CS3 and some other more photography oriented programs are not running flawless in SL yet. Because I require CS3 to perform flawless for printing large format fine art, I can not switch the entire system. But, and this is what I am pondering about. What if I could run a SL installation and choose on booting whether OSX 5.8 or SL comes up? I am somewhat new to Macs, just started last year, hence I am not sure how this could be done in a secure way. The music side of me muchs desires to run Logic in 64 bit as my 8x core maschine is maxed out with 32 Gig and I really would love to start using Spectrasonics etc. without hitting the RAM ceiling. Then again, how could I manage to do this? Install SL on a entirely different HD to start with? But what about the already installed Audio software, such as NI Kore 2, Komplete 6, Spectrasonics, VSL and Logic/Mainstage as well of course? Would that mean I have to install all this again to run from SL? You see, I really don't know how to tackle this, and my biggest worry is to mess up the system, which I can not afford. Music is my hobby, photography my business. So, if one of you can guide me to a safe way to achieve this, .....dream come true! Best Georg
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Installing SL besides OSX 5.8
    Hi! This is a very good question. I always try to have multiple clones/backups to test newer versions of OSX... and in fact I've only recently fully transitioned my Main Partition to SL after more than 3 months of testing! The best way to do this IMHO, is to install SL on an external HD. You can use Disk Utility (Applications/Utility) to create a new partition on an empty external HD if you wish. Then use the SL install DVD and choose to install it on the external partition. You can try copying or migrating your audio apps, library preferences, loop libraries etc to the new partition. However, I'd advise a clean install. Yes, it will take longer, but in my experience it's just a better way! Now in OSX you can choose which partition/disk to boot up from by going to System Preferences and choosing 'Startup Disk'. Make sure to download the latest updates for your plugins and drivers for any hardware and you should be good to go. Let me know if you'd like to transition your Mail, iCal, Address Book and other browser info/data to the new partition too. Hope that helps, Rounik
  • Oceanviewstudio
    Greetings from Banana Republic, ahem, I mean Ireland. Thanks Rounik, this is useful information. Yeah, I would like to migrate mail and browser too. Did not use iCal or adress book yet, so no data there. Yeah again, I have made a super duper clone of my Macintosh HD. I have 6 external drives. They hold pictures projects, print data, samples (VSL, Kontakt etc), logic projects, and AU data such as Spectrasonics and more. I also have 4 internal harddrives with data. Say, for test purposes, I am installing SL on an external FW800 or eSATA drive. I then boot into snowleopard. What I think doing is to install all programs new. Logic, NI Komplete (mega sigh) etc. and then set the data pointer to the existing samples etc. Then again, alone for music this would require 3 more hardrives. One for SL, one for samples and data, and one for recording. On Top as you said, one has to find out first about drivers for hardware, praying that they work. Quite a task. I wonder, does SL format drives different now or is it exactly the same? I guess, it is the same, so I should be able to leave out a fresh installation of samples may be and just point to my sample data drive, only installing the programs, not sure though. I am reluctant to go that road yet, really worried that something might mess with the original installation and programs, which run perfect so far. Curious, when you say you transitioned your main partition fully, what does that mean? Let me ask you, during your SL testing period, did SL ever mess with your OSX installation, data, anything at all? I also have a 17 inch Macbook Pro from 2009, silver, with 4 Gig only, I wonder whether it even makes sense to switch to SL there. Thanks Georg
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Georg, Well... that's a lot of HD's you got there! Don't worry about the process. Really, if you are installing SL on an empty drive then nothing can go wrong to affect your main system. Excellent. So, 'partitioning a hard drive' simply means to create more than one area on the drive.... like putting a wall inbetween. It's good, for example, if you wish to split a 500 GB drive into two 250GB areas. You may then install SL on one partition and Leopard on another. My main system was still using Leopard until fairly recently. But I gave myself a three month transition period due to ongoing video and audio projects which I wanted to finish off before making switching my main system to SL. I still boot into Leopard occasionally, but I'm 99% using SL and I have no reason to go back now. It really has been a smooth transition for me. Before you partition a drive I'd recommend you should clear the contents and make it empty. There are apps that can partitiona drive even if it has data on it, but I wouldn't recommend it. (paranoid me ;) Yes, I agree. Install all applications fresh :) Sure you can point Logic to the sample libraries and loops. Sorry for being pedantic, but pop to the Logic forums and I'll go through the procedure. It may then be helpful for others who search for this info in the future :) As for drivers... what hardware do you have? Aside from Digidesign hardware everything else should be fine. Once you've installed SL, pop along to the websites for the hardware, download the latest drivers, install them and all should work swimmingly well :) I've found SL to be quicker and as robust/more robust than Leopard so far. Logic 9.1 is also an improvement from my tests. If finding drivers feels overwhelming, may be break it down into smaller tasks: Today get the audio hardware drivers and 3rd party plugin updates. Tomorrow get the photography equipment, any printer drivers etc updates... Remember installing these drivers on your SL boo up drive will not affect your main system drive. The SL installations for me (I did it twice on two different partitions - long story and not very interesting one) were a breeze. No issues at all. I find installing new OS's fun now that I keep my important data backed up and have a clone of my system drive too :) If you want to try out SL on your MBP then go for it. You should notice a slight performance increase with Logic and other Apple apps (Safari, etc) over Leopard. It's a good way to try things out. OK. As for moving your MAIL, Browser (e.g. Safari) data over manually: 1. Go to User/*your home*/Library/Mail Copy the contents to the same location on your new SL drive. 2. Go to User/*your home*/Library/Safari Copy the contents to the same location on your new SL drive. 3. Go to User/*your home*/Library/Preferences Find and copy the com.apple.mail.plist com.apple.Safari.plist to the equivalent location on your new SL drive. Should all work great now. OK. Let me know how you get on and if you need help on the Logic side, do post in the Logic forums :) Cheers Rounik
  • Oceanviewstudio
    Hey Rounik, this sounds all very encouraging indeed! I am ordering SL later and probably do all this next week. One thing I am wondering about, as I am also no friend of partitioning tools that mess around with existing data, may be I could the original macintosh drive. The way I am thinking is this. I could make a complete super duper clone of my macintosh drive. Then boot from the clone drive and format the (scarey bit) orginal macointosh HD and create two partitions on it, one for OSX, one for SL. Then (spinning prayerwheels at 15,000 rpm) play back the clone to the 1st partition and use the second to install SL on. Sounds good? Thanks very much for your valuable input Rounik, really appreacite it! Best Georg P.S. Yeah, will pop into Logic Forum with that, your are right, this might be a question on others people mind as well!
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey Georg As long as the prayer wheels are rotating counter-clockwise you'll be fine ;-) Sounds like an idea. Or you could move the data from one external drive to another and then use that. Once you have a chance to experiment with this procedure then I'm sure you'll find it less scary :) I understand though the first time doing something like this can feel intimidating, so practice using a spare external drive. Format it using Disk Utility and create a partition. Then you can try installing Leopard or SL on it to get a feel for how it works. When you want to boot from a connected (bootable) partition, go to System Preferences > Start up Disk and after a few seconds your bootable drives will be displayed. Choose the one you want to boot from and click 'Restart...' Do let me know if you need any other help :) Rounik
  • Oceanviewstudio
    Hey Rounik :o) I have to type with the left hand now, due to a severe wrist inflammation from spinning counter clockwise. I spoke with the chap from Super Duper, for some reasons which are beyond my intellectual capabilities, he does not recommend partitioning the macintosh HD at all. Well, I guess he knows a lot about the ins and outs of OSX so I will not do that. Hmmm, in addition on asking him wether SL will have the potential to mess with my existing stuff, ha said: quote: It's quite possible that running Snow Leopard would cause your other disks to get accessed by a Snow Leopard volume, and thus changed. Whether those changes would be incompatibile is hard to say. end quote Just ordered SL and will try to use a external eSATA Lacie drive, all in all this is more than scarey as this would be [b]drive number 13[/b] attached (if counting all single drives in RAID's).... Duh! ;o) Ok, here is another consideration. Say I am 3 months further, and now would be happy to entirely use SL, how did you go ahead and transition everything to your macintosh HD? [i]Oh.... there is a sliver of sunshine on the horizon... a rare event here in NW Ireland since weeks.... I am of to the beach.... where are you at btw?[/i]
  • Oceanviewstudio
    Nice timing, 5 days ago Sonnet technologies updated the driver for SL for my eSata Raid stuff. :o) Found RME and MOTU SL drivers as well. I can't wait for Spectrasonics to release their AU's for 64 bit now. 32 Gig hungrily awaiting to be fed. :o) now really gone to the beach....
  • Oceanviewstudio
    Found this here which might be useful for snyone in the same boat. I know them from photography and they are pretty competent, hence trustworthy as well. [url]http://macperformanceguide.com/SnowLeopard-Installing.html[/url]
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey Georg, How was the beach? Indeed, we had a glimmer of sunshine here too (Bristol). Thanks for posting the link. It really is that easy :) I'm not sure why the guy from Super Duper recommended you don't erase and then partition your System drive!!? Perhaps he/she assumed you wanted to partition and keep the data on there. Although in theory this is possible, it's best to erase the drive and then partition it, Or perhaps because you have 13 drives (a very lucky number in some cultures) they (and I would too) recommend you use one of these drives and keep your system drive as it is. Just makes it super simple! Glad the article reassures you though :) Best Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: