macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Oceanviewstudio
    Re: Installing SL besides OSX 5.8
    Was nice, finally a little color comes back, and while still nippy, tiny bit of warmth in the sun already, much needed after such a winter. I am trying to attach a picture here, I just signed up for a mobile me trial. Btw. did you know, since a few days, you can whack 64 Gig into 8 core nehalems. You have to log into 64 bit though to take advantage of that. Having said that, I suggest avoiding the secure checkout button "at all cost". LOL [url]http://eshop.macsales.com/basketHandler.cfm?do=updateBasket[/url] Bristol UK? Hello Neighbor :o) P.S. Linking to a picture residing on iDisk seems not to work, neither to a gallery in mobile me. - Strange! -
  • Oceanviewstudio
    Well... you can see it here.... [url]http://gallery.me.com/oceanviewstudioarts[/url] Nuttin else but this single pic from today in there.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Georg, Yes, it was a glorious day yesterday neighbour... though down Bristol way we don't have a beach approximating the beauty of your picture :( Oops.. just clicked on the secure checkout using my one-click payment account... ;-) btw, to upload picture to the forums here we are using the following system: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/forum/general/general-general&id=15243[/url] until we can implement a more streamlined approach. :o) Rounik
  • Oceanviewstudio
    Hey Rounik, hope you are well, looks like winter is back. Well, it took ages for apple to send me the DVD, but now I am typing from my MBP running OSX 6.2 :o) That was fun! I risked it the hardcore way, ran a clone backup first, and then just started the installer. Then the 6.2 combo update, then software update for the little stuff. Very impressed so far. Installed it on my Lady's MacbookAir as well via DVD sharing. She has a MBA with SSD, and nice enough, it requires couple of Gigs less now. However, something that I mnever saw before, in my dock is a question mark now where my Autopano Pro Program was residing before. Does that mean it is not work in SL, I will scout around at autopano forums, but by chance would you know what the meaning of that questionmark is? Best Georg
  • Oceanviewstudio
    P.S. fwiw, anyone else here new to SL like myself and just having installed, kindly note, the firewall is not activated per default, you have to do that first! Best Georg
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Georg, Glad to hear it's been an overwhelming success so far :) It gets easier the more you do it ;-) As for "Autopano Pro". It's not an app I'm familiar with... but if the icon has a question mark in the dock it means that it cannot be located. Check that you have the app in the Applications folder. Then drag the ? icon out of the dock and drag the Autopano Pro from the Applications folder in to the dock. Should all work fine. Best Rounik p.s. let me know when spring reaches you... we're normally about a day behind ;-)
  • Oceanviewstudio
    :o) as for spring.... judging by the sudden appearance of a phletora of birds, literally over the weekend, since last friday. Thanks Rounik. Just thinking out loud, what made this upgrade difficult was only psychological. Why is that? Fora on apple and other sources are full of people reporting tons of difficulties when installing SL. Who would not become somewhat suspicious? My experience on two macs was straight forward. Thanks to good advise and common sense. I would summarize a good strategy in 10 steps, I know it is basic and only personal experience, but may be it helps the one or other.. In particular order 1. Clean out unnecessary files and check you system hard drive for health and repair permissions. I recommend Diskwarrior. [url]http://www.alsoft.com/Diskwarrior/index.html[/url] Alternatively, just run repair permissions from disk utility. 2. Before you continue preparing to install SL, it is a good idea to make some downloads first. Check for new SL drivers, your sound card, printers, graphic tablet, application updates, whatever might be connected and installed, search for up to date Snow Leopard drivers. Here is a useful link: [url]http://snowleopard.wikidot.com/[/url] Also, download the latest Snowleopard combo Update available, currently as of mid February 2010, it is OSX 6.2 [url]http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/macosx_updates/macosxv1062updatecombo.html[/url] 3. Now, with drivers and updates downloaded, perform a complete system clone (Super Duper, CCC) of your existing OSX. 4. Do not believe the advertising. Make an acid test yourself, and try this clone you made first. Boot from the clone and see whether everything is the way it was in the original system. 5. While you booted from your clone, use diskwarrior to rebuild and replace directory of your original internal HD that has OSX installed. If you do not use Diskwarrior, skip that step. 6. For peace of mind, have an identical second system clone on a second hard drive. 7. Unplug all external devices except mous and keyboard first! Use your SL Install disk and install SL. Process should take round about 1- 1,5 hours. 8. After everything went successful, use your latest SL combo update that you downloaded. 9. There are security updates, Java updates, and others still available, it is safe enough to then use the Software Update from the apple menu. 10. Re connect external devices again. Last not elast after everything has been installed, do not forget to switch on the firewall. It is off by default. ------- Best wishes Georg
  • Oceanviewstudio
    Update: I am now tackling the "Maczilla" and install SL on external 1 TB FW800. I put in the SL disc, and used system preferences to choose the startup disc, choosing the SL DVD. Reboot. First thing I did after the installer shows up was using disc utility from the menu and write 1 partition, I named it SLE, all my drives have three letters only, and under options chose GUID to the FW drive, on exiting disc utility, the installer asked on what drive I wish to install SL. Nice, now comes a migration assistant, and I am trying this, and choose transfer from volume, in this case my SYS drive with OSX 5.8. Will be interesting to see whether I can skip your suggestions for mail and safari and find all settings, history, mail etc already in place. On my MBP, installing SL over 5.8 it worked a charme. Man, after 25 years PC's, I only wonder, why did I not switch to Mac earlier. It is really slick and in my humble opinion so much more advanced and reliable than what I used to know from the PC world. By now, I am officially a Microsoft free zone. LOL :o)
  • Oceanviewstudio
    Ok, here is an observation which worries me to a degree. On my Macbook Pro, using iStat Pro (4.92), it appears as if the CPU temperatures are higher than before. It quickly runs up to 60 degrees celsius now, before it was around 45 with the same applications active. Any thoughts? If memoery serves, there was something about resetting PRAM, cuasing the logic board controllers to be resetted. Do you think I should try that?
  • Oceanviewstudio
    [quote:]Nice, now comes a migration assistant, and I am trying this, and choose transfer from volume, in this case my SYS drive with OSX 5.8. Will be interesting to see whether I can skip your suggestions for mail and safari and find all settings, history, mail etc already in place.[/quote] Yeppers, migration of mail, safari booksmarks etc. flawless!
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: