macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Oceanviewstudio
    Re: Installing SL besides OSX 5.8
    WOW this is pretty amazing. After migrating applications an so on, my Logic projects reside on external Raid, I just started a fairly complex project, using multiple Kontakt 4, Omnisphere, Trilian, RMX, Ve Pro 32 and 64 bit servers, VSL, plenty of sends etc. Logic just had to scan the AU again, that was all, project is playing as I type and at a glance it appears core distribution is better, and load on CPU less at the same time. It is not scientific but I now how the bars in system performance looked when I played this project before. 1 Core was always pretty close to red, and only 1 more was utilised to a minimum, at the moment 4 cores are used in the 25 % ish region. OSX rocks! :o)
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey Georg, Thanks for updating this thread! I feel like I'm looking over your shoulder & sharing the excitement. Logic 9.1 and Snow leopard... so far for me a great combination! Can't wait to see what the future holds... It's definitely bright :) As for your increased temperature... not quite sure what to suggest. I had noticed a subtle increase too, but it hasn't affected me in any adverse ways. Cheers Rounik
  • Oceanviewstudio
    Hey Rounik, Winter is back with a vengeance, ice on the roads here. The temperature raise appears to happen only on the MBP not the MacPro. Believe me, I wish you could have had a glass of burgundy and looked over my shoulder in realtime, and hey, big thanks for looking at this stuff here, it sure was helpful to run it by someone who has much more mac experience! For now I did not make a clean install of the SL evaluation on my MCP, I migrated my settings and applications so I can test what works and what does not. But as soon as my main instruments are full 64 bit, I will change that. Omnisphere and Trilian are around the corner, leaves only Kontakt, Kore 2 and Komplete 6, but talking to the chaps at NI in Berin, this might take a while, unfortunately. Having said that the NI Kontakt "memory hack" does a good job running memory server. Let's talk 64bit for a second if you don't mind. What puzzles me is this; I boot into Sl per default using 32 bit. However, 64 bit applications will show as 64 bit in activity monitor, such as finder etc. etc., but not only that, also true 64 bit applications such as Adobe Lightroom will show as 64 bit. But what does that mean? Will these 64bit applications have the larger memory adress room available, although I booted into the 32 bit kernel? I assume they won't, because I am still in a limited 32bit kernel, would that be right? Hence I would need to boot into the 64bit kernel to take full advantage of 64 bit applications. But why will Lightroom show as a 64bit application and Logic 9.1 will not? Best wishes from Banana Republic ;o) Georg
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Georg Well, I count myself lucky to be enjoying only rain today then! SL can boot up in 32 bit mode or 64 bit mode. However, the majority of built-in OSX apps are now in 64-bit and can still be run when SL is booted in 32-bit mode and take advantage of the memory improvements. Basically, as far as I know, booting up SL in 64-bit will improve performance but you may run into issues if using 32-bit drivers. So, for some applications, until the 64-bit transition is somewhat complete it may be better to boot-up SL into 32-bit mode. Logic 9.1 can be run in 64-bit mode when SL is using the 32-bit kernel. You need to 'Get Info' on the Logic.app file in the Applications folder and choose to run it in 64-bit mode. I remember an article from last year that explained 32-bit/64-bit boot up much more eloquently than I have... bear with me while I look for it... here you go: [url]http://macperformanceguide.com/SnowLeopard-64bit.html[/url] as an added bonus the article focuses on digital photography :) Cheers Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: