macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Wipavue
    Setting up a place for external access?
    Hi there, Ok, here is what I want to do; I want to set up a folder/virtual disk, whatever, to leave Logic files (audio, settings, the lot) accessible to a friend back in Canada so that we can collaborate. Could someone please run through how to go about doing this? Rounik, I didn't see anything about doing this in your tut, unfortunately. Thanks! Glenn
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Setting up a place for externa...
    Hey Glenn, There's a few ways to achieve this. Do you have MobileMe? It's possible to use this, but I'd recommend another Service called DropBox. Really cool. You can test it out with a free account which provides 2GB storage space. [url]https://www.dropbox.com/[/url] DropBox is installed on both users machines, you create a free account and invite your friend to share that folder. You can run Dropbox from within the Finder and from the Menu Bar. I haven't used it specifically for Logic collaborations, but have for Keynotes, iWork docs, Final Cut projects... It's great! Anyway, copy the Logic project folder to your Dropbox folder and as soon as it's ready your friend should be notified that it has been changed/updated/deleted/etc. I have to admit I tussled with the idea of including DropBox in my Mac OS 201 tutorial... but, I would have been going off on a tangent to the general theme of the tut... You can't please everyone all of the time ;-) Best Rounik
  • Wipavue
    Hi, Rounik, Thanks for your reply. Isn't there some way I can do this using the Sharing/File sharing' system pref? I seem to remember getting a Roland JV templates off of SFLogicninja's computer. BTW, I think your tutorial is excellent. Glenn
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Glenn, Yes, you can. There's a good article by Apple on setting up File Sharing: [url]http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1549[/url] File Sharing from Sys Prefs works really well for Macs on the same network. What you need is remote file sharing... and this is not as seamless or secure as using a service like DropBox - which works even if your Mac is not connected to the net. Thanks for the comments on the tut btw. Would be great if you wouldn't mind leaving a review on the 201 tutorials review page ;-) Let me know how you get on. Rounik
  • Wipavue
    Again, thanks! I've downloaded Dropbox, and uploaded one of my Logic folders to it. It was going at a snail's pace 85 kbs, so it took a long time. One of my concerns about this kind of thing (we have high speed DSL). Another thing, I didn't realize that, if I didn't want it disappearing from my desktop I had to actually copy the folder before I uploaded it. I'll write a review of your tut as soon as I am finished it. Cheers, Glenn
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Glenn, No probs! I haven't tried transferring full Logic projects this way... although files I have transferred using Dropbox have been quicker than 85kbs. You have a few options with DB. You can save your project directly into the DropBox folder in the Finder, or copy the project to DropBox... which is what I'd recommend (always good to have a backup!) I've tended to use Sendit or sendspace (google them) to transfer large files... but it means a lot of too and fro, and requires you and your friend to get a decent naming convention in place. Thanks! Rounik
  • Skye
    +1 for Dropbox. Great app. 85k upload is pretty good for DSL. That's about your connection max I would guess.
  • Wipavue
    Erm, actually, our ISP gives us about 600kbs upload, and about 1.5 mbs download. It should go faster. The friend with whom I am working can no longer access the folder I put up. So, I dunno what I/we are doing wrong, but 'seamless' isn't an adjective I'd choose right now. Glenn
  • Skye
    Ya that sounds right. 600Kbps would be about 85KB/s. My connection is 1Mbps up and 15Mbps down which translates to a max of ~120KB/s up and ~1.8MB/s down. Note: ISP's list in bits (Kb and Mb) where as a standard internet apps list in Bytes (KB and MB). 1 Byte = 8 bits. So divide whatever your ISP says your connection is by 8 to get a better grade on the actual speed you should be getting. I haven't tried sharing a folder yet with Dropbox but this should help: [url]https://www.dropbox.com/help/19[/url]
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: