macProVideo.com
Forums
  • coFane
    ROUNIK! Leopard is behaving differently on my imac and laptop?
    Okay, If I have a movie file and a song file on my desktop (any format) I can scroll over the file and a tiny "play" button will appear. I can audition an entire movie or song as a thumbnail if I want to. I really like this feature! My problem is, the "play" button ONLY appears on my iMac, not on my macbook pro. I have the latest versions of OSX on both. What's the deal? Thanks for any diagnostic help!
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: ROUNIK! Leopard is behaving di...
    hmmm interesting. So if you select the file and press Spacebar can you Quick Look the file? When you say on your "desktop"... have you opened a Finder window of your desktop or are you directly on your Desktop? If the later... I also can't preview a movie/audio file without opening a Finder window. Thanks Rounik
  • coFane
    I can press space bar and quick look the file on both machines. When I say "desktop" I'm referring to my actual desktop. No finder window is open. I've emailed you a screen shot and video of how I can play entire movies and audio files from their actual thumbnails on my desktop so you can get a visual. Again, I can do this on my iMac but not on my MBP. Is it not available on my laptop because of system resource issues (my imac is more powerful, therefore snow leopard allows the funciton)? Or is it because I have QuickTime Pro installed on my imac but not on my laptop? I never use QTP or have it open, but it is installed on my iMac...
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey! Thanks for the screenshots... It's actually quite a simple solution (he says hopefully!)... Icons on the Desktop need to be at least 64x64 in order to preview movie or audio files. Try it out by choosing "Show View Options" from the Finder's View menu (Command+J). Personally, I prefer having smaller icons on my MBP's desktop and just use Quicklook. :) Rounik
  • coFane
    Sweet! I got it to work. I agree that it might be nicer to have smaller icons on the MBP though... Anyway, I appreciate the help! I love learning about OSX... (that would be a hint for you to do some more awesome tuts and blog posts about it :) Of course, all your tuts and blog posts are great. I'd still love to see one about Logic vs Cubase or one about Quictime Pro though! thanks for the help!
  • Rounik Admin
    Yeah... it's a hard choice between small icons on the Desktop or cool preview function :) Thanks! I appreciate your kind words :) If there were to be more tuts (or blog posts) on OSX... what topics would you like to see covered? As for a Cubase vs Logic tutorial/blog post - Ha... although I'm a Logic Certified Trainer I try to avoid the old Cubase/Logic war... reminds me of PC vs Mac ;-)) Yes a QTPro tut would be cool! If we had more demand for it... :) Rounik
  • coFane
    Sure I have some OSX topics I'd like to see covered in your blog. How about OSX.6 VS Windows7 :D Jk I'll keep you posted if I get any ideas though... Though a QTP tut may not be high in demand, I think at least one blog post could be dedicated to it. Maybe even a post simply about what QTP is and what it is used for (in a very general sense). It's interesting how many mac users can't *define* what QTP is. They use it at various times but it kind of becomes this ambiguous program that mainly allows previewing of videos and audio. I think it's purpose has become more and more blurry since iTunes and iMovie are now basically part of OSX. Seriously, one or two cool blog posts on QTP would be stellar!! Nothing too deep. Just a nice crash course on what the heck it is, what it does, and why it is still there even though we have iLife! I'll be watching (and hoping) for one :D Thanks again!
  • Rounik Admin
    LOL! You got me there :p Quicktime Pro is an interesting topic to cover... I'll bear in mind for the (hopefully) not too distant future :) Best Rounik
  • coFane
    Cool! QTP would be a good topic to cover in a post. It's part of OSX and I don't know why it's there exactly now that we have iLife. And, of course, you could refer people to your OSX tutorials in the post to learn more since you do actually cover specific Quicktime X functions in them (like capturing the screen etc).
  • Rounik Admin
    Nice idea... I especially like the idea of promoting my tutorial: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/macos10201[/url] ;-))
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: