macProVideo.com
Forums
  • jeff
    Mac Pro sluggish
    Macpro feels sluggish... how do I determine what the issue is? I first noticed it with Safari... pages load really slow; blue bar moves slowly then disappears and then still takes 3-5 seconds to load page fully. worked with my service provider... replaced modem... apple support felt it was interference related... but nothing has changed in my house for two years as far as wireless products are concerned and signal strength is maxed out. could it be my base station?... someone told me they loss their signal strength over time. then I noticed that other apps esp. Mail is slow..used to be really snappy now very sluggish.. I use iPhone 3G and mobile me with push mode. Now Logic has become an issue... I have never had issues when I had tiger and logic 7... The biggest change I've had with my Mac has been the upgrade from tiger to snow leopard, logic 7 to 9 Is there a problem with my operating system?, Basestation? Processors? does snow leoprd require more RAM? I have a MAcPro from 2006, Intel Xeon 2 X3 GHz Dual core... 4 GB RAM... 4 hard drives 160 GB - Bay 1 - 19 GB used 500 GB - Bay 2 - Back Up time machine 300 GB used 500 GB - Bay 3 - 442GB used 750 GB - Operating system and apps etc... logic and logic files - 250 GB used feel like dumping my entire computer... what should I do? Jeff
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Mac Pro sluggish
    Hello Jeff, Some questions: 1. Can you describe in more detail how Logic is behaving sluggishly? 2. HOW did you upgrade the OS and Logic? 3. Have you updated to the latest versions of OSX and Logic 9? 4. Have you tried repair permissions: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/forum/general/general-general&id=13874[/url] 5. If Airport is switched off do you find better performance in Logic? 6. Create a new user account and log-in to that account. Does Logic behave any better? What about Safari? 7. Do you have a spare External Firewire drive you can use to install a clean test system on? If possible format the drive first and then install OSX and update it to the latest version. Try out Safari and install Logic 9.1.1 and try it out too. Don't dump your Mac yet ;-) Rounik
  • jeff
    1. mostly mail and safari are very slow.. Ifind myself waiting for mail to download of web pages to fill... whereas before they were both very reponsive and snappy... I feel like I went back in time to dial up 2. I purchased the family pack upgrade for snow leopard and logic 9 upgrade, as suggested on the apple site... installed snow leopard, then logic 9... was working fine...then restarted my computer and got the grey screen of death... dumped my computer... reinstalled my operating system by using my original discs(tiger) i think then I did software updates..then ran snow leopard upgrade..and then logic7 was installed followed by logic 9 upgrade disc 3. I do regular software upgrades and am current 4. I have done permission repairs as well as disk repairs 5. I have plugged my MAC in directly with an ethernet cable to my service providers modem..seemed to improve safari response 6. 7. - I'll need to try this Thanks Jeff
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Jeff, Thanks for the info. Personally, I'd recommend doing a clean install and not installing over the top. For this to work I'd suggest backing up ALL your important data at least once, then format your system drive and install Snow Leopard and all updates and Logic 9 and all updates... Then test out Mail and Safari's response time. However, if this feels a little extreme then do try out my point 7 from above (using an external drive) first. In relation to point 5. Is your setup far away from your router? Is it possible to try a different router or Mac in your setup to test the difference in "response"? Thanks Rounik
  • jeff
    So I can install snow leopard with the upgrade disk alone? ... I wondered about this? what about logic? same thing just install the upgrade disk?... I am showing two logics in my applications menu... and if I open an old project... the project looks like logic 7 My wife has a macbookpro... about a year newer than mine still running on tiger... running on the same router throughout the house and safari and mail appear normal. her computer has the ability to run airport at a higher ghz setting but I cannot (this was apples explanation as to why they both reacted differently) my mac is in the basement.. the router is on the third floor... I thought of this but, I ran this set up for three years with no issue.. now all of a sudden it's an issue... someone told me that routers lose their strogth over time is this true? router is only about two or three years old
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Jeff, The "Upgrade" disc is actually a full install disc for both Snow Leopard and Logic. If you want you can erase and format your machine and install a clean Snow Leopard... then install Logic 9 clean too. It's up to you - as you may wish to maintain a system with Logic 7 for complete compatibility reasons with your older projects... though I've not found this necessary for me... It could be that your airport card is getting on now - could be router losing it's strength or a number of other factors could also come into play here. Best Rounik
  • Skye
    How many other wifi networks are in your area? If you're running on the same frequency as other wifi networks there can be conflicts. You could also do speed tests to see if it's your wifi card. [url]http://www.speedtest.net[/url]. Test on wifi then test directly connected to the router or modem.
  • jeff
    mac tests well on speedtest site whether plugged in directly with ethernet cable or through airport.. speedtest numbers read acceptable, however the way the pages are loading up is where i get a delay... blue line in address bar comes and goes and pages still getting a 3-5 second delay for graphics and text to appear no other wireless networks are detected by my airport... I live in a rural northern community
  • jeff
    Is it recommended that your operationg system be installed in harddrive bay #1?
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Jeff, Yes, you should install it on the default system drive. I'd recommend formatting your drive first. You can use the SL disc to do that. Depending on the type of formatting it might take some time to complete the process. :) Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: