macProVideo.com
Forums
  • coFane
    Software updates?
    Hey Rounik, how come when I select Apple menu> software update it will only show the updates for select programs (ie-Logic, OSX, iMovie etc...)? How come it doesn't let me know about other updates (eg- Microsoft Word, Absynth, Abelton Live etc...)? For those apps I either have to frequent the specific company website or, in Microsoft Words' case, I have to open the app itself and if there is an update it will inform me. Is there a way to make OSX check for updates on all my apps so that I can know when they are available? Thanks!
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Software updates?
    Hey CoFane, Software Update... will only show updates for Apple software, including OSX and system security patches because it's an Apple OSX feature. Software Update connects your Mac with an Apple Server and shares info about your system and what needs updating and then downloads those updates from Apple's Servers. Apple can't and won't take responsibility for 3rd party developers updates... it's not really within their remit or interest to do so let alone host their software on Apple's severs. I know its different on the iOS App Store... but for OSX it's down to the 3rd party developers to communicate with you. It's quite good really that Apple don't scan your Mac to see what other software you have available But, many apps will ask if you want them to check for updates (e.g. N.E.D will ask if upon launch you wish to check for updates. Spectrasonics plugins also have a similar feature. I don't know of Service that will check every 3rd party developers site for updates and sync that info with your system... but tbh, I'd prefer not to share access to this info with some utility like that... :) Rounik
  • coFane
    Okay, I understand. I actually would like OSX to scan my computer for software updates. Then again, I don't have pirated software on my machine like you probably do ;-) jk, I'm with you! I really like how NED and Word will check for updates on launch. I wish all programs would do the same!! Live and Reason don't seem to give me that option! Also, I use RMX. You say Spectrasonics allows an auto-check for updates feature. How is this set up? I'm confused because RMX always runs as a plug in. I don't ever get preference menus or anything when I'm using it... Thanks!
  • Rounik Admin
    Ha! No, that's most definitely not the issue. All my software is legit! It's amazing when you're browsing the web how many sites/companies are trying to take info from your computer. Some need to, e.g. Apple in order to provide Software updates, NED in order to confirm an authorized account, need this info from your system and keep your info safe... others... well, I'm not so certain about! I use an Application called 'Little Snitch' to monitor, and if I want refuse, info being taken from my machine to somewhere/someone else. They've got a trial to download. Ah... I was talking about Omnisphere... it's not exactly automatic... but you can check in the Omni plugin window whether you have the latest version of the plugin and/or sound libraries. Don't think RMX has this option just yet... :) Rounik
  • Skye
    You may want to look into Appfresh: [url]http://metaquark.de/appfresh/[/url] which keeps track of which apps are up to date. I don't use it but it comes recommended from LifeHacker: [url]http://lifehacker.com/5384140/five-best-software-update-tools[/url]
  • Rounik Admin
    Appfresh looks interesting! I wonder if this will work with Plugins as well as Applications..? :)
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: