macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Gorynui
    Very slow shutdown
    Hi there. My Mac Pro tower (Quad-core, 2.8 GHz, 12 GB RAM, OS 10.6.7) has become very slow at shutting down or restarting. It used to take under 30 seconds, but now it lasts 3-5 minutes, with just the blank blue screens while it does its internal duties. A couple of weeks ago, I recall a fairly substantial software update (either the OS or Logic?), but around the same time, I upgraded my RAM, from 4 to 12. It doesn't appear to have any other issues, just this shut-down thing. Ideas?
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Very slow shutdown
    Hi Sammy, 3-5 minutes does sound a little high... though ironically adding more ram does increase startup and shut down times as the OS spends extra time checking the ram. A good test would be to remove the extra 8 GB and then try booting up and shutting down a couple of times to see if there's a difference. Cheers R
  • GaryHiebner
    Maybe your Mac needs a bit of TLC. Try Onyx. It is a great maintenance application (http://www.apple.com/downloads/) You can check my tips on using the application here: http://www.macprovideo.com/hub/mac-osx/9-mac-troubleshooting-tips-call-mac-guy This will get rid of some cache files and repair the permissions, which may help with the starting and shutting down of your Mac, and the general performance of the unit. Check Step 8. Also Try Step 3 (resetting your PRAM).
  • Gorynui
    Well it looks like OnyX may have fixed things. I installed and ran it a couple of hours ago, and have had no issues with shutting down or restarting. Fantastic tip! Thanks!
  • GaryHiebner
    Great. Glad it did the trick. Onyx really works wonders.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: