macProVideo.com
Forums
  • drusif
    os update
    hey guys, im running an old macbook pro, got it in about 2008, its running leopard 10.5.8 and i wanted to upgrade it, is it worth me doing? just wanted to go to snow leopard. if i do upgrade do i have to remove the old software first or just load it over it? cheers
  • GaryHiebner
    Re: os update
    If you have a Snow Leopard installer you can just run the installer and it will install the Snow Leopard operating system over Leopard and retain your software and data you already have installed. Just make sure all your software and plugins you are running is all up to date and compatible with Snow Leopard.
  • drusif
    i hear if you just run the installer if i have any bugs on my mac already it wont fix them? im about to do a time machine back up but if i do the full clean install of it how do i put the time machine back up back onto the mac so all the files go to there original place? also in your opinion is it worth upgrading to snow leopard?
  • GaryHiebner
    Yes, if there are any problems it will pull these across as well. Are you having any problems on your system at the moment? If not then I don't see any problem doing the upgrade. I would recommend upgrading up to Snow Leopard as some of the features on Leopard are getting a bit old, like older versions of Safari and other things. You could use an application like Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your system before you upgrade. Then if something goes wrong with the upgrade you can always revert back to your Leopard system.
  • BenB
    I'm running Lion on a 2008 17" MacBook Pro. Loving it. I always run Disk Utility to repair all drives, and run Disk Warrior to rebuild all directories before upgrading to a new OS. Apple's OS upgrades have been very solid and reliable the last few. I'll even be taking my old MBP up to Mountain Lion when it's released, too. As long as it's an Intel.
  • Myzeboy
    it's quite an old MacBook Pro, I suggest you to upgrade to latest MacBook version, it will help you to upgrade your operating system too.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: