macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Wipavue
    Blinking ? @ boot up?
    Hi there, I booted my iMac (24", 2009, 2.66) this morning, and got the dreaded 'can't find start-up drive' icon. It booted fine the next couple of times, though. Ran Disk Utilities on it, says the HDD appears ok. Do I have anything to be concerned about? This is the first time it has happened to this computer. I have Time Machine running, but I am wondering whether the appearance of the '?' signals the beginning of a trend toward kaputedness. Thanks!
  • GaryHiebner
    Re: Blinking ? @ boot up?
    What version of OS X were you running? I see your profile says 10.6.8. If so, continue with the steps below (10.7 requires different steps to be taken). Boot up your Mac and hold down the Alt key. This will bring up any bootable options you have on your Mac. See if your Hard Disk comes up. If so, choose it and see if it boots into it. If not try the following (You did say you had a Time Machine backup hey?) Stick your Mac OS install disc into your Mac. Then boot up the Mac whilst holding down the Alt key. Choose to startup from the OS install disc. This will bring up the installation process. It will retain all your data settings and applications, but will reinstall the installation files again. Maybe your system got corrupt. So continue with this step and see afterwards if it boots correctly into your OS. If this still does not work check out my following tutorial and follow on from step 6 to repair your disk. [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/hub/mac-osx/9-mac-troubleshooting-tips-call-mac-guy[/url] If you do not come right after these steps, then it could be that your Hard Disk is damaged.
  • Wipavue
    Yes, 10.6.8, Time Machine. It has been booting normally since the original anomaly. I use OnyX regularly, thought there are a bunch of broken permissions that won't go away (having to do with java scripts, I think). Booting the Snow Lion disk while holding 'C' seems to bring me only to the beginning of the installation procedure, and the only relevant utility I can see up at the top is Disk Utility. I can't see anything about hardware testing. Thanks.
  • GaryHiebner
    You don't want to do a hardware test. You must go through the installation process again to reinstall the Mac OS. Then see if it boots back again into your system afterwards. All your data and user settings will be retained. (But it is always nice to have a backup just incase. Luckliy you have your Tim Machine backup for worst case scenario).
  • BenB
    You mean Snow Leopard, or Lion? Booting with the C key is for booting to a DVD, don't bother with that. There will be permissions that can't be fixed, that's not an issue. If you lost your boot drive once, it could be on it's way out eventually. Run Disk Warrior to rebuild the directory, and if this fails, the drive is about to die. Reinstalling the OS won't help anything. Run Disk Utilty like you did to Repair (ignore Verify, waste of time). Run Disk Warrior. Do both once a month for good house keeping. Also highlight each drive one by one on your Desktop. Command-i will give you the Info window. Look at the Capacity, and make sure the Available drive space is at least 15% of the capacity. I'd not run Onyx for many, many, many reasons. It is not doing anything to actually help your system. The only reason Onyx or Cocktail should be used is if you turn your computer off at night, or it goes to sleep at night. Then it doesn't run it's UNIX system clean up routines. These won't hurt your system if they never run, but using something like Cocktail or Onyx to run them manually during the day doens't hurt. Just do NOT let Onyx or Cocktail do anything else but run the Daily, Weekly, and Monthly UNIX routines! Everything else they do is 1- a waste of time, 2- can potentially mess you up. Here's a blog post of mine you may be interested in. [url]http://www.fcproxuniversity.com/FCPro_X_University/Extra_Credit/Entries/2012/4/7_How_To_Make_Your_Mac_Faster.html[/url]
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: