macProVideo.com
Forums
  • stevenros
    Does Cleaning Mac drive Speed up Mac performance
    Over a long period of time we find our machines (Both Mac and Windows)playing little slower. It doesn't remain as fast as it was bought. So, being a Mac user I just want to know if simply cleaning Mac disk using tools like clean my Mac, Stellar speed up Mac, mackeeper etc. really makes any difference ? If anyone has used these applications or any other tools to cleanup mac disk. What is the logic (technical) behind creating more free space to [b]speed up Mac[/b]
  • BenB
    Re: Does Cleaning Mac drive Speed up Mac performance
    1st of all, computers don't actually slow down. There's a psychological quirk in the human brain that only makes is seem slower the more we see it. But, gathering more and more data on a hard drive will cause that drive to work more to read/write data, but we're talking milliseconds if not nanoseconds. Cleaning stuff out of a computer to make it faster is the oldest rip-off scam in the industry. Clearing out logs, etc, may cause some psychological relief, but nothing technically changes. First, the logs these apps claim to clear out do nothing for speed. They are self-regulated log files, that only use a predetermined amount of drive space, and clean themselves out regularly. Defragging a drive on a Mac is so outdated it's not funny. Your OS X Mac, along with the SMART functions in modern hard drives take care of all of this in the background. Don't let anyone fool you into thinking defraging your drive will do anything to help. Well, it helps those shady software developers make money you don't need to spend. Defrag was great for old drives that were slow to start with. Today's drives are simply too fast, too efficient, it doesn't matter any longer. There are other things it may claim to do like clean out "localization" files. Don't do this. Those are the foreign language files your computer uses to decipher, if not also display foreign languages and their unique characters on your computer screen. They lay dormant, take up next to no drive space, use no RAM, and fooling with them does absolutely NOTHING to improve your system. It could also harm your system if you have software applications that rely on these for references. Way back when, too many icons on your Desktop would make a Mac noticeably slower, as it meant a larger Desktop catalog loaded into RAM. On newer Macs it makes no difference now, as the Desktop is handled in a much faster, more efficient manner. But, it's a good idea to keep your Desktop tidy, anyway. As a semi-retired IT engineer, I've seen Mac Cleaner and the like totally trash people's computers. I've seen many folks lose all their data using these rip-off, disgusting, horrible applications and services. Then the company won't lift a finger to help you get your stuff back. They are dangerous, con you into thinking your computer is way slower than it used to be (it's not, no computer gets that much slower from normal, proper use, it's physically impossible). I wish there was a law that could prosecute those thieves. On a Mac, there are only three things you can do which are preventative maintenance, and don't effect your Mac's speed. First, once a month, from your Desktop highlight each hard drive icon, one at a time, and use Command-i to pull up it's Info window. Read the Capacity and the Available space numbers. Be sure that you always have at least 15% of the drive's total capacity as free space. This is needed by applications and the OS to write and store temporary system files that are invisible to the end users, that helps it do it's work. Second, once a month run Disk Utility (Applications folder, Utilities folder). In the First Aid tab, highlight each drive by the name you gave it in the Finder, click the Repair button (Verify does nothing, leave it alone). Do that to each drive on your system. Third, you can run Disk Warrior (third party app) once a month to rebuild the directories on your hard drives. Aside from that, NOTHING you can do, save delete unused applications and documents, and even that will have the most minimal impact, will make your computer actually run "faster". It runs at a set speed, it does not "speed up" or "slow down". The more complex the task you give it, the longer it may take, as there are more steps to that more complex task. This is not running "slower", this is doing more complex, heavy duty work. Nothing can change that except getting more RAM, or a faster CPU. Don't touch any of those apps or services claiming to make your computer "faster". It's a total rip-off, and you could lose all of your data. Trust me, I've seen it over and over and over and over.
  • Fubaveu
    Just to add to the awesome info above, make sure you have a good backup of your mac before running disk utility on your drive, if the system is corrupt it may try to repair it and fail which will lead to loss of data, I see this happen occasionally at my day job (Apple genius)
  • johngough
    Great post. Glad I stumbled on it.
  • D.Andrew
    Although I have been using Mac for last and half years. Earlier, it was good to work with Mac but after usage over time, I felt that my Mac is getting slow and then I started seeking for good speed up Mac applications. Either use Stellar Speed up Mac or Mac Keeper, Firstly I try my manual tricks (which are in my hand) of removing garbage like junks, caches, temporary files and duplicate data etc.
  • Luis Elliott
    Re: Re: Does Cleaning Mac drive Speed up Mac performance
    Caches, logs, apps,widgets, language packs, plugins, hidden trashes, and large files. Get rid of these things to increase the speed of your Mac! The best part is that you can do this all manually! However, finding all of these things and removing them takes time, plus you have to know where to look. But you will get the biggest increase in speed by cleaning your hard drive! check : [url]http://www.buyessays.us[/url]
  • ankush93
    Yes it will help for sure. Cleaning RAM and Cache will work like anything. [url]http://www.ylodps3.com/[/url]
  • jenny
    How can i increase the speed? Is there any technical solution? [url]http://essaysmaster.com/dissertation-writing[/url]
  • nita
    If your Mac become slow to boot up, the problem may be it simply has too many applications. Many applications by default open automatically at startup. Go to System Preferences, then to Users & Groups and then click on the Login Items tab to see a list of the apps that open when you boot your Mac. Visit [url=http://www.buy-custom-essays-online.com/book-review-writing-services.html]Book review writing services[/url]
  • DavidClarke
    Perfect essays online is a remarkable leader in the sphere of providing academic papers to students. It has a network of associates all around the world enabling it to provide quality college writing help in any part of the world!
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: