macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Wipavue
    Blinking ? @ boot up
    Hi there, Welp, the first incident was at the end of March, but today it happened twice--the dreaded blinking ?. I've run Disk Utility, and I have Time Machine, made DVD-R copies of the most important stuff, etc. Question is, what next? It has been suggested that I do a fresh install of the OS, but my concern about that is: What will a fresh OS install do to my 3rd party plugin authorizations? The other question is, obviously, is my HDD getting ready to croak? Thanks, Glenn
  • GaryHiebner
    Re: Blinking ? @ boot up
    Have you run a Repair Disk from your OS startup disk? Try that and see if it repairs anything. It will unmount your System HD and try to repair it. You will know if there are any problems with your HD if it does not mount your HD again. What OS are your running 10.6? You reinstall the OS. It will retain all your users settings and data. This will try fix any errors with the system. If there is a deeper problem it will not be resolved and you may need to resort to a fresh install. If so, then yes you will need to reinstall all your software and authorize the plugins.
  • Wipavue
    Hi Gary, Yes, I've run Repair Disk from the OS disk. No problems could be detected. Yes, 10.6.8. By 'fresh install' you mean erasing the HDD and starting completely fresh? Thanks, Glenn
  • GaryHiebner
    Yes, by fresh install I mean erasing the HDD then reinstalling everything again. Make sure you have done a proper backup of all your data first though. Try first running a reinstall of 10.6 from the system disc and see if that corrects anything. If it works you will need to run a software update to get the OS back to 10.6.8 and all the other Apple updates as well.
  • Wipavue
    Re: Re: Blinking ? @ boot up
    Thanks. Any idea what the probability is that the '?' indicates that my HDD is failing, rather than it being a mere software problem? Again, thanks, Glenn
  • Fubaveu
    The ? At boot up means it cannot find a start volume. If it is happening randomly it may be the cable between the logic board and Hard drive. Personally I would back up everything of value and wipe the machine to trouble shoot this. If the erase and install works without a hitch it was bad software. If it cannot install it is either a bad hard drive or cable. to answer your dying drive question - they are like tires it's not a matter of if it is, but when will it go.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: