macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Wipavue
    Customizing folders
    Hi there, I remember, wayyyy back in my LCII days, that I was able to use a small picture, and replace the folder image. I did that with some folders, and my (80 meg) HDD icon. Is there anyway that I can still do that in Mountain Lion? Thanks, G.F. Big
  • GaryHiebner
    Re: Customizing folders
    Hi G.F.  Big, This Apple article explains how to change your folder icons: [url]http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2493[/url]
  • Wipavue
    Yeah, thanks. It doesn't work with jpegs. All it gives is the generic jpeg icon. Using PSE8, I've changed files to png files, which seem to work fine.
  • GaryHiebner
    Great, glad you got it working. Yes it has to be a png file. I forgot about that.
  • Wipavue
    The only issue is, really, that I only have one folder on my desktop, the HDDs are hidden, and navigating in the finder, as per my preference, the icons are too small to bother. Oh well. It was a good idea 20 years ago, when my desktop was littered with folders. Thanks, G.F. Beeg.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey B.G.F! A quick note, if you need to change image file formats between say, JPEG, PNG, TIFF, etc you can use Apple's Preview - nice and quick. For even swifter conversions I've set up a service command through Automator. Whenever I right-click on an image file in the Finder I have a menu option to convert to PNG :)
  • Wipavue
    Thanks for the tip, Rounik!
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: