macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Hamish H
    Best way to use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone 2 drives?
    Hello I used Carbon Copy Cloner to migrate computers and it was awesome. I now keep an up to date clone of the whole system. But I have another hard drive where I keep all music and movie projects I'm not currently working on. I want to clone this other drive too using CCC. Is the best way to do this to create 2 partitions on the drive I keep the clones? If I need to reboot the whole system can I do it from a partition? If not what is the best way? Do I need another drive? (i'm assuming that CCC isn't smart enough to remember which drive it cloned files from, and put them back the same way -maybe it can?) Thanks very much Hamish
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Best way to use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone 2 driv...
    Hey Hamish, You could partition the ext. drive and then use one as the clone of your startup disk and the other for music projects. That'll work... and it's something I regularly do. But, bear in mind that if the ext. drive fails or has any problem, you'll have all your important backups (clone and music stuff) on the same drive. For safety it might be a good idea to have two separate drives: one as a clone and the other for music projects. HTH Rounik
  • Hamish H
    Thanks Rounik That's what I ended up doing; 2 separate drives, one for projects, the other (split into 2 partions) for clones. Down the track I think I'll get another drive or 2 but this works perfectly for now. :)
  • GaryHiebner
    You can never have enough drives for backups. The more the merrier. Always plan in case of the worst scenario. So if you have 2 separate backups for your music project drive, and two separate backups for your system drive that is perfect.
  • BenB
    Just FYI, I would also recommend only doing a "clone" of the system drive, so it is able to boot. But do a regular "backup" of your secondary drives. You can automate both in CCC to run in the middle of every night, so you have up to date recoveries. A regular backup goes much faster than a clone process. The only reason to "clone" a drive is if it is an OS drive and needs to be able to boot on its own. But yeah, "backup" runs much faster than a "clone". And a different backup drive for each hard drive, for sure.
  • Hamish H
    Thanks all! Sage advice from the big guns... I appreciate it! H
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: