macProVideo.com
Forums
  • gjm
    GarageBand Advanced
    Just putting in a request for an advanced follow up to J.F.Brissette's into vid. I know GB is entry level and limited compared to other options, but surely there are tips, tricks, strategies and set up hints for using GB to its full potential. How about multi tracking, aggregate devices, plug ins, sharing .band files for collaboration, mixing, some basic mastering suggestions, midi, setting up keyboards and guitars etc. There are lots more subjects. I can't find a 'definitive' tutorial anywhere. Cheers. G.
  • gjm
    Re: GarageBand Advanced
    You could also do a rework of the 08 202 DSP video so it matches the 09 UI, but also include the use of the Amp Simulation and Bass Amp, perhaps with some tips n tricks. On top of that, there could be a part 2 on the AU Effects that are shipped with GB (OSX I think) and how they could be used. The novice would benefit from knowing that there is additional AU's to be had, even for free. You could even provide a small list of freebies and their potential uses. Cheers. G.
  • gjm
    Bump. Now I have 5 songs I put on a CD, but there is no text for song titles etc, and all the tunes sound slightly different in volume and their bass/treble content. I would LOVE to see some tutorials on the basics or tips and tricks on how to use GB and perhaps a plug in of some sort to tidy this up. I can't be the only person in the world who wants to use the KISS (keep it simple stupid) philosophy. This could be added to the 'Advanced' GB training list.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi gjm, All your suggestions are really excellent IMHO. I especially like the DSP and AU ideas. In terms of your last post... What app did you use to burn the 5 tracks to CD? Did you use a limiter on your Master track in GB for each song? Have you thought about jumping up to Logic and waveburner (great app for Mastering to CD)? Best Rounik
  • gjm
    Hi Rounik I just burnt the tunes to disk from iTunes after sending them there from GB. I did not use a limiter of any sort. The only thing I did on the master track was fade in and out. I have no idea about master track strategies. (another topic for GB 303!!) I have thought about jumping up to logic, but the cost is prohibitive at this stage. Also, to tell you the truth, I have looked into Logic, Ableton Live and Reaper and couldn't get my head around not only the programs, but the basic approach to work flow and comprehending the start to finish pathway. I currently have both Logic Express 8 and Ableton Live, and struggled with both to understand the big picture. I have MPV tuts for both. They are great for explaining the individual parts and what they do, but not the big picture, or specific scenario's like, "Here is how to make a 10 track CD for your friends", or "Want to play a live gig? Here some idea's". I just gelled with GarageBand and I was not only able to work my way through recording a tune, but actually remember what I did last time without having to read through the manual again!!! The best example I can relate this to is sailing. You can have a basic yacht with half a dozen ropes to pull, 2 sails and a compass, or a tricked out beast with 50 ropes to tweak, electronics galore, redundant systems, a complete backup sail wardrobe for any wind range from 5kn to 40kn and an expresso machine. Both will get you from a to b. Definitely the 1st boat is limited, but you have to build a foundation somewhere. I just think GB and project fundamentals could be better utilized and explained as a stepping stone to Logic than they currently are. (Maybe I'm just a dunce ;) Greg
  • gjm
    As a side note, I have posted quite a bit on the Apple GB 09 Forum, asking questions about the use of GB beyond just its basic workings. There is often little or no advice given, just statements that things can or can't be done. People obviously not only create individual songs, but also make CD compilations, but forums are just not places for long, in depth and concise suggestions or answers. Cheers
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: