macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Royson
    Burned DVD Problems
    I've built a nice movie in FCP and a good functional DVD of it in DVDSP. I burn the final DVD's and everything is great. Watch em on the computer, and on various home DVD players everything works, no problems. Start shipping copies to customers, and the news is bad, nearly half the people who play the DVD's either can't play them or get lots of skipping. I've identified a few possible culprits. 1. Media quality. I used good name brand blank DVD's (Sony DVD+) but it seems there are still better ones available, have now switched to Verbatim DVD's. 2. Labels. I've read that adhesive DVD labels play havoc with the Disks, causing wobble etc. So in spite of having a commercial product, I'm dropping the labels, at least for the time being. 3. Format. I started wtih DVD+, but have switched to DVD-, because it seems that more home players are compatible with DVD-. 4. Burn speed. This last one has got me confused. I understand that I might get a better burn at a lower speed, but cannot find anywhere in the DVDSP application where I can set the burn speed of the DVD burner. Anyone know how to do this? Any other ideas why so many of my DVD's behave badly on customer's players? It seems crazy to me that with $6K plus investment in an editing system, I can't seem to produce an end product that can actually be consistantly viewed by customers, a pretty big flaw that I need to resolve. Complicating my search for a solution is the fact that I can't find a DVD player that doesn't work 100% with my original disks or the "improved" copies, so how can I tell if I'm solving the problem or not? (I have shipped some replacements to customers, and am waiting to hear if they work or not.) I really don't want to go to replication on this project, since only a couple hundred DVD's will be released at most.
  • Martin
    Re: Burned DVD Problems
    I think You've hit the nail on the head with all of your reasons. The biggest culprit is usually the DVD brand. For what it's worth, we use Rytek DVDs and have no problems at all. Labels can be a big culprit too ... there's several cheap printers on the market these days that will print directly on the disc ... I saw one for $99 the other day. The most reliable way to burn, I find, is to create a disc image and then use Disc Utility to burn the disc. Under destination, choose Hard Drive as the output device. Then burn at 1X speed in disc utility to get the "cleanest" burn ... it basically ensures the pits are burned deeply and cleanly. You can also verify the disc through disc utility, which is great.
  • Royson
    Good stuff Martin. I'm unclear on how to burn a UDF format disk with disk utility. I did experiment creating a disk image and burning to a DVD but UDF was not one of the format options. I used Hybrid, and was only able to run the resulting DVD on computer DVD drives, it wasn't recognized by home DVD decks. Here's the latest on the project. We seem to have acheived nearly a 100% success rate by the following steps: 1. Using high quality DVD- disks (We're using Verbatim, but I've learned that Rytek is also excellent.) 2. No paper labels. 3. Burn at 2x using Toast, (DVDSP does not allow control over the burn speed, it burns as fast as the media and drive will allow.) 4. Verify each disk as part of the burning process. So far, all the viewers who had trouble with the previous disks have reported that the replacements run perfectly.
  • Martin
    Dsc utility will just burn whatever is in the .img file ... there's no ability to explicitly select UDF, AFAIK. Was the problem playing the DVD-Video itself? Or just the hybrid content? If just the content, you might check the joliete extension support option when you set the content for your hybrid, if your file names are longer than 8 characters ... that could possibly help. Glad the other tips helped out though! It's amazing what can happen when you stick a lable on a disc ... :)
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: