macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Joe
    Finished DVD quality is awful!!
    I recently purchased Final Cut Studio 2 which includes DVD Pro to which I am new. My edited movies from Final Cut Pro 6 are great. The video is captured using the EZ set up (DV-NTSC) Standard Def 4:3. The finished edited product is great. I then export it using (this seems to be the only way I'm offered any formatting options) to a file as a self contained Quick Time movie using current settings, include audio, video, and chapter markers. DVD Pro imports the asset with an amber colored dot. When I hit the simulate button, the movie plays flawlessly. When the movie is encoded (I think that's what happens), the button turns green. But then when I hit the simulate button, the movie plays like a grainy, pixilated, 15fps internet movie. It also burns to the DVD as such. It plays off the hard drive flawlessly but outputs to DVD Pro like a piece of garbage. Is this an encoding problem? What am I doing wrong?
  • Martin
    Re: Finished DVD quality is awful!!
    Try exporting 1 of your FCP sequences using compressor, and encode it as an MPEG-2 file ( at around 6 mbps). Import that into DVDSP and see how it looks in the simulator. If it looks good, the problem is in the original movie from FCP ... if the MPEG-2 looks like the original, the problem is somewheere else, so more troubleshooting will be needed!
  • Joe
    Re: Finished DVD quality is awful!!
    Martin, thanks for your time. I'm new to Final Cut Studio 2 which of course includes compressor. That not withstanding, I was able to export the troublesome sequence using compressor as per your specifications with no improvement. This sequence is of my 5 year old nephew on a moving train ride and a merry-go-round. I'm on the rides too so he is stationary relative to the camera. But oddly enough, the moving background is clear. He however is a grainy, pixilated mess BUT ONLY once the sequence makes its way to DVD Pro. Again, the video plays flawlessly off the hard drive from FCP but once exported (MPEG2) then imported to DVD Pro or iDVD for that matter, it plays like garbage. If it looked bad to begin with meaning before any formatting, compressing, or encoding I could accept that it's bad camera work. But it doesn't. Any other suggestions before I request a Los Angeles area Final Cut Studio 2 private tutor? (And I'm looking)
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: