macProVideo.com
Forums
  • SteveC
    VO in Storyline?
    I am creating a training video that will have a main V/O that will be covered up with visuals. Is the normal practice in Final Cut X to lay down the V/O in the main storyline and then use connected clips (which would be turned into a storyline of their own) for the pictures, or would it be better to create a large gap in the storyline for the visuals and connect the audio V/O? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Steve
  • BenB
    Re: VO in Storyline?
    There is no actual correct or incorrect method to use. Some do it one way, some do it another way, there are a few other ways to do it, too. I actually have [b]two free mini-tutorials[/b] here on the [b]macProVideo HUB[/b] about just this subject. I suggest reading the article on short form VO work first, and long form VO work second. [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/hub/final-cut/fcp-x-voice-over-editing-short-takes[/url] [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/hub/final-cut/fcp-x-voice-over-editing-long-projects[/url] Also I have this [b]blog post [/b]on my own site which discusses my own professional VO work, equipment, workflow, and some tricks that may be helpful. [url]http://www.fcproxuniversity.com/FCPro_X_University/Extra_Credit/Entries/2011/9/22_Working_With_Audio_In_Final_Cut_Pro_X.0.1_2_(and_some_recording_tricks).html[/url]
  • SteveC
    Thanks Ben for those great tips. I have been recording/editing the audio in Logic them importing them into FCPX. I will give the method a try that you suggest using FCPX. It would be nice to cut out the extra steps. I had heard you could record in FCPX but wasn't sure if there were quality issues. Regarding the project edit, my first instinct was to pop the V/O directly into the primary storyline but was a little concerned about the cover shot transitions etc as I am new to FCPX. I have a wack of linear editing under my belt and a bunch of non-linear experience with other editors, but I'm still feeling my way around FCPX. I really appreciate your input. Steve
  • BenB
    You'll get the best quality your hardware can deliver when recording inside of FCP X. You'll find editing with the Range tool is faster than anything you've done with VO work before. I always put my VO work in a Primary Storyline for the magnetic properties (vital to fast editing) and Range tool properties. Once I'm done, and put it all into a Compound Clip for compression and EQ (if necessary), I can then move it out of the Primary Storyline if I want to rearrange things after. Although the multitake in Logic has it's advantages, try both a few times, see which you prefer.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: