macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Mozodoy
    External hard drive for video
    We need an external HD for video files only (Final Cut Express at this point. My idea (haven't gotten through the tutorials yet) is this drive can be used for projects and then just backed up and erased afterwards. Can we move this HD, and video files, back and forth between 2 different computers? For example, after download of files onto external HD connected to one computer used for some editing, can we then unplug and move to another computer for work with Audio files? Which external hard drive might do the job, size, type, company? Please describe your workflow with video - backup, etc. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.
  • Martin
    Re: External hard drive for video
    Hi Beder, Yes, and external hard drive will afford you all of those workflow luxuries ... you should certainly get one! Over the years, you will amass a small army of them, I'm sure ... As for brand, I can only speak from experience. I've used Maxon in the past, but for the last few years have used Lacie only .... I've had no problems with either brands, and I have dozens of each kicking around ... Stick with 7200 RPM ... size depends upon budget, but with storage space for video projects, more is always much, much better ... :)
  • Mozodoy
    Thanks for your reply, Martin. What is your workflow like with video work, and audio? I put a post on the Logic Forum but havenâ??t gotten much response (see Workflow, Hard Drives, Backup). I know the general idea but Iâ??d like to get more info on how you work to get a handle on setting up how I will work, what size drives, etc. Do you record audio to a separate external HD? Do you work on your video projects on another external HD? What do you use a second internal drive for? What are your habits for workflow and backup strategy? What do you have on all those external drives lying around? I have 2 external Lacieâ??s currently. I like the triple interface and can use FW 800 with the Mac G5. I do find them noisy, with a distinct high-pitch whine. Do yours have that sound? Have you gotten into eSATA drives yet, and if so where did you buy the PCI card? Iâ??m looking for another internal HD. Generally speaking, if youâ??ve read my other post, would you recommend a 320 or 500GB and what size for externals. I know itâ??s very subjective because you donâ??t know what Iâ??m doing but with all those tutorials Iâ??m studying, watch out world! I do value your attempt to advise me â?º Thanks, Martin.
  • Martin
    I can answer a couple of questions ... [quote:5887]Do you record audio to a separate external HD? [/quote] No. I have not done that for years. At the turn of the century (and before) this was a really important technique for several reasons ... the biggest being access times on the hard drives, with another being the dodgy quality of those very expensive hard drives early in the product cycle. Hard drive technology was not as refined, and forcing drives to work hard caused greater probability of crashes leading to catastrophic data loss. Both of these issues are no longer much of a problem ... particularly with the SATA drives internal to your Mac. More RAM also ... BUT, if you find your system lagging or slowing down, or if it sounds like your hard disk is working to hard (just listen to it ... you'll be able to tell because under normal circumstances you shouldn't be hearing your hard disk chugging) ... [b]by all means seperate the drives, that's the cleanest workflow, bar none[/b]. It just becomes a pain when it comes time to archive projects, find files, and etc, so these days I lump everything together, in the same folder. Sam hard drive. No problems. BUT, I usually work off the internal hard drives, and archive to external ones. Only current projects are on my production machines. If you want to work off external drives, you can. The firewire 800 interface is quick, and unless you are doing complex video edits with multiple channels of audio, on a machine with very little RAM ... you'll be fine. You can always just test it out ... get a drive, use it, and if your system seems to be lagging ... get another drive, or find other ways to optimize your workflow. [quote:5887] What do you have on all those external drives lying around?[/quote] Archives and archives and archives ... terabytes of stuff like mpv tutorial source files ... all the project files for all the songs I've ever produced ... the manuscripts to several books ... in short, my life ... :)
  • Mozodoy
    Thanks for your reply, Martin. After you've finished your current projects on a drive, and archive it, do you defrag the internal drive you've been using or just reformat it? There seems to be some debat about the practice of defragging, or optimizing hard drives these days. It seems the Mac OS is designed to defragment files slowly but very slowly. Is the practice needed with the generation and movement of audio files with Logic work and video work? These are rather big chunks of data. I've seen reference to the use of an inexpensive app called iDefrag. I'd appreciate it if you can shed some light here. Thanks.
  • Martin
    In the past, yes ... these days, defraging is not really as neccessary. Your system "optimizes" every time you install something. However, formating drives from time to time is always a good idea, I think ... they do seem to run faster. Bottom line is, defraging can't hurt! But it's not as neccessary as it used to be.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: