macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Final Cut Pro & Final Cut Expres
    Final Cut Pro Capture Problems
    ok, my rented XL2 had to go back to the rental shop had probelms with capture from the XL2 initially but plugging the firewire into the rear FW port on my machine seemed to work. now Im trying to re-capture some of the footage from the pervious topic with my Panasonic PV DVD101D-K camera -- tried both front and back FW ports ... Under "capture settings" onthe capture window, I set the "device control" to "firewire basic" under view menu, I clicked "refresh devices" And I get a rainbow colored twirling circle that apperar to tell me that something is locked up. It doesnt unlock till I turn the camcorder off or unplug it from the FW. and I get "preview not avaialbe" from the preview window. "unable to initialize video deck. You may still log offline clips of use Capture Now." (Capture now results in the twirling rainbow circle) the bottom of the capture window says no communication (where there should be control buttons) using "capture now" and pressing play on the camcorder brings up another capture window but its black - no preview - it says its capturing but there arent even any numbers moving etc - just black. any suggestions would be great thanks _________________ best, M/ G5 Mac, 2x 2.6ghz, 3.5Gram, 1TB HDs, 9600video card. 2x old crt monitors.
  • burno
    Re: Final Cut Pro Capture Problems
    well, sorry no suggestion for you, cause unfortunately i'm having the same frustrating problem. I've got deadlines to meet and Final Cut all of the sudden stopped capturing from my MiniDV Canon Elura 100. And it is doing the same exact thing that you described, everytime I go to Log and Capture something, Final Cut locks up, but when I unplug the FW cord its ok. But still won't capture. What the heck is wrong with this? I thought this was a widespread problem and that Apple would put out an update to fix it, but you are the first person I've seen that has had this same exact problem. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Bruno there are a few workarounds I found (which sucks but sometimes get you through in a pinch) 1) capture to IMovieHD (or other program) then import it into FCP 2) try changing the settings -- eg "uncontrollable device" -- change it to manual so you have to control your camera from the camera not through FCP 3) maybe some other camera setting might help like change the "type of camera" (even if it doesnt match perfectly - like try the Panasonic setting for a Canon etc. 4) change the camera if possible I also DL'ed "FCP Rescue" Google that - there are many sites to DL from. I dont know if it make s difference but try it - cant hurt. I changed from PC to Mac to avoid things like this -- I couldn't keep the pc running -- definitely LESS problems with Mac but still some. No excuse however cause I bought the best Mac I could at the time and FCP was supposed to be the best software. It should be flawless. good luck
  • burno
    ok, well i tried all of those and they didnt work, so i got a hold of a buddy's camera and it was sony and it captured perfectly fine. so its my camera. so i'm capturing a sony vx1000 right now, so i'm starting to wonder if it is all canon cameras in general that are having problems, because both mine and my other buddy's camera which is canon did the same exact thing, and you sayin that your canon XL2 was doing the same thing. so i dunno. anyone have anymore input into this subject. so looks like i'm gonna have to sell my canon and get a new camera. unless i can figure something out. thanks for all the suggestions though.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi burno sorry you've been having issues with your Canon cameras. What version of FCP are you running? Canon HV20 & Final Cut Pro 5 works fine.
  • burno
    Yeah, I'm running Final Cut Pro 5.0.4. Its just weird because it was working fine one night and then the next day it just stopped, it just locks up Final Cut. I've heard that if you control the playback of your camera through Final Cut then it messes things up. Do you know if this is true? Or do you have any other suggestions. Thanks.
  • Kivierb
    Norway calling I also have an Canon XL2, with the same problems as you descirbe, when it was plugged directly to the MAC... I bought a Firewire hub, plugged in back on the MAC (G5 dual 2,5)and plugged the camera in, and voila it captures fine FCP 5 and 6
    hmm, have to try that- thanks.
  • Xuvygia
    I'm having the same problems with my Canon XL2, Final Cut Studio 1 and Mac G5 2.5 GHz. Did the FireWire Hub solution work?
    VideoRoy I have not tried the hub solution. My XL2 was a rental so it went back to the shop My "workaround" was this: I purchased a used Cannon ZR25MC. This is a small consumer camera. It was $120 on eBay and not only works as a consumer camera but also -- final cut Pro seems to like it. Capture works fine with it and it was cheaper than buying inexpensive Mini DVD deck. So now if I rent a camera that won't talk to final cut Pro properly, I swap the tape into the small camera and capture from that. This weekend I rented a Sony DSR-PD150 DV camera and a captured with no problem. I have not tried capturing with the Canon GL2 but I have heard of similar problems with it. Maybe the hub tricks the software into thinking it's a more generic camera? If you own your camera, it might be worth looking into one of the workarounds rather than trying to swap cameras.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: