macProVideo.com
Forums
  • techbeat
    HD720 and SD 720
    Is it possible to videotape a widescreen (16:9) SD image and bring it in to Final Cut Pro? I mean, for example, if with a JVC GY-HD110U you record the vidoe in SD widescreen, what will it look like in final cut pro vers 5.0? Will it cause the image to be imported squished to 720x480? Is the only way to edit in a true widescreen 16:9 format is to capture HD video in Final Cut Pro in HD capture mode? But it won't be the same resolution and won't fit the HD viewer correctly... I'm confused.
  • Martin
    Re: HD720 and SD 720
    I'm not familiar with that camera, but for the most part you are correct. The widescreen mode in a lot of camcorders is a fake widescreen that just letterboxes SD vide with some black bars ... in thiscase you are dealing with a smaller resolution of Approx 404 X 720 pixels. To edit at tru Widescreen resolutions, you need a camear that can shoot in widescreen mode. And, to make it even more comfusing, tru widescreen mode actually "anamorphically" squishes the widescreen imag to 720 X 480 to store it on the tape, then stretches it back out, horizontally, at playback / editing. It's almost easier to just get a new camera and shoot in HD ... :)
  • techbeat
    Re: HD720 and SD 720
    If I use a JVC GY-HD250 but set it up for SD 16:9, do you think this would be a good option as the final product is SD DVD anyway. Thanks.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: