macProVideo.com
Forums
  • rwear
    Combining Codes
    First off, please excuse what I'm sure are pretty 101 type questions, if you could please shed some light on this I'd appreciate it. I'm capturing a series of NTSC DV tapes in FCP 6 in which some appear to have been shot at 29df and others at 29ndf, so these are my questions: 1) It doesn't appear that upon capturing, FCP allows you to make a choice between capturing 29.97df or 29.97ndf, it just has 29.97 period. Does this mean it looks to the code on the tape to decide whether it's drop or non-drop? 2) Are there any potential issues in combining drop and non in a single timeline as long as they're both 29.97? 3) If I know I'm never going back to the tape again and my new master is my capture, is there any issue in forcing the clip to have non-drop code in Modify>Timecode to keep it consistent with the 95% of my other footage which is non-drop? Thanks, I really appreciate the help. Roert
  • Martin
    Re: Combining Codes
    There's no issues at all unless your final output is intended to be broadcast on TV. If not, then 29.97 FPS, both drop or non drop are actually treated as 30 FPS video by your computer as you edit. Furthermore, no frames are ever lost or dropped in this process ... it's simply a way to number, or address each frame so your NLE can keep track of them while editing.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: