macProVideo.com
Forums
  • AmosLynn82
    Final Cut Studio vs. Final Cut Express
    I'm wondering if anyone can give me some good advice about which one I should purchase. I'm not a professional movie maker nor do I want to be. I'm looking to start a side business and I'd love to know which is best. I'm thinking I wouldn't need Final Cut Studio but is it possible to upgrade to Final Cut Studio down the road if I get Final Cut Express now. Please help me and tell me what would be the best thing to get at this point. I've had some schooling on movie/commercial editing but it's been a couple years. I really enjoyed doing it but I just want to start a side business making videos for Wedding couples of photos and such from when they were growing up. If you think that this isn't even the route I should go down let me know. I use iMovie right now and I want a better program to use to make them more professional. Thanks!
  • tenzin
    Re: Final Cut Studio vs. Final Cut Express
    hi. this question comes up a lot, and to my knowledge there is not a comprehensive comparison between the products. basically, if you are going to be using the tool mainly for cutting (DV, HDV, AVCHD, etc.) -- and not interested in learning the other applications of FCS2, then FC Express is a great way to go. the interface is the same, most of the features are identical, and it is an excellent learning tool to develop your skills on an NLE. the new version of iMovie, for example, does not serve as a springboard to 'real' editing at all. if you are making wedding videos and slideshows, etc., fc express will exceed your needs on the movie end. but if you want to do dvd authoring, audio mixes, etc., then the other applications in fcs2 are excellent. i guess the question is, do you currently use iDVD? other iLife apps? if yes, are you happy with the product you create? if yes, then fc express is the way to go. if you want to do more with your dvds -- and start to really edit audio/animate, etc. -- then go for fcs2.
  • pixanator44
    think of it this way: Final Cut Express is a room. Final Cut Studio is a mansion. If you live in a room, you have to move out in order to expand. If you live in a room that's located in a mansion, you have options. In this context, your mansion will cost $1300 vs $300. Either way, you'll get what you pay for. That said, you need to consider the standard you offer your clients, because they will probably will be willing to pay more to get more.
  • blakeloud
    thanks for letting me in on your conversation here guys, i found it reassuring that I went w/ FCPS2. I just received FCPS2 in the mail and I can't wait to get going on it. Some people made it sound like FCXpress would be good for my Macbook Pro, but I needed the ablities for DvD authorization, etc... My main concern is that I have Adobe CS3, Logic Pro, and soon to be FCPS2 on my laptop. Besides doing the regular cleaning up of files, is there anything people would recommend to keep my system afloat? thanks
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey Blake, Really hope you enjoy getting into FCP & especially Motion (Wow!). By the way, it is apparently better to install FCS first and then install Logic studio (there seems to be an issue with STP when installing the other way around). Also, I recommend keeping about 30% of your HD free and empty. You may wish to invest in an external HD to use as your scratch folder for FCP and perhaps another one to back up your work manually and maybe put some of the content onto....Video quickly eats your HD space. Let us know how you get on. Best Rounik
  • blakeloud
    Oh thanks... Since I have had Logic installed for months, is it worth it to uninstall it, install FCS and then reinstall Logic? Also, I def save work off to my external as soon as I'm done with it, but are you saying to install FCS on to that instead of my local hd?
  • Rounik Admin
    [quote:39411]Oh thanks... Since I have had Logic installed for months, is it worth it to uninstall it, install FCS and then reinstall Logic? [/quote] To be honest I don't know. But, if you already have Soundtrack installed then deselect it when installing FCS, that should be fine. You have to install FCS applications to the applications folder - but I think you may have the option to install some content of FCS 6 to an external HD instead of your laptop. In the end it's down to your preference and whether you want to install all the content or not. Cheers Rounik
  • blakeloud
    alright, thanks. I'll be in touch if I have any problems. ryan
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: