macProVideo.com
Forums
  • firststarmedia
    Need help with FCP 5 settings
    Hello - I shot some footage in HD with a Sony HDR-FX1 and some footage with a very high end video camera but used the DV setting instead of HD. I now need to combine this video footage into one movie but I do not know what settings to use. I imported the footage as HDV and the DV as DV-NTSC. What sequence settings should I use to get the best result? It's going to be burned to a DV-DVD anyway, so do I need to down convert the HD footage first before I start editing? If so, how do I do that? I'm eding on a pre-intel machine running FCP 5.0.4 Please help me as I only have 2 weeks before my deadline. Thanks.
  • Cajypiu
    Re: Need help with FCP 5 settings
    Hello mate, if you are going to have to combine this footage together, and your end product is going to be DV then I would recommend you downgrade your HD footage to the DV footage and go from there. The easiest way of doing this would be to use Quicktime Pro or bounce out from FCP. The only reason I, personally, may prefer to keep the HDV as is for editing, would be if I had way way more HDV footage than DV to use and you were doing colour grading/ effects.. in which case I would probably convert the lot to something with more dynamic range anyway. I take it you've shot at the same aspect ratio? Also, SDV NTSC and HDV use different sized pixels, which will have to be taken care of one way or another along the way. FYI, 5.1.4 is out and reports quite a few bug fixes too and is causing no grief on my system. Cheers, YADJ
  • Hisham
    Re: Need help with FCP 5 settings
    If you want to export all from one sequence, you may want to down-convert HDV to DV and include that with your other DV into your MPEG2-DVD later on. As your source material is HDV, you always have a good quality footage that you can 'massage' in any appropriate format you like and mix and match. FCP6 let's you mix formats in one timeline, if you are planning to stretch your budget. Cheers Hisham
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: