macProVideo.com
Forums
  • final cut express
    picture in picture
    can someone point me to a how to guide to placng a video in another video in a "picture-in-picture" fashion. i am new to final cut express, just got it. both films are in quicktime .mov file formats, one was from my sony dv video camera, the other started out as a .avi, from a different, smaller video camera which writes to a SD card, but i have converted it to .mov for now. not looking for anything fancy, just how to do PIP. thanks, jesse
  • Cajypiu
    Re: picture in picture
    Hi Jesse, no probs. Create an in out section on the two clips you want to use. Drag one down to the v1 video section of the time line, and then drag the other clip that you want to sit on top of your first video clip in to the v2 video lane, above v1. If there aren't two video lanes there by default, when you drag video in to the time line and let go of the mouse button, make sure the pointer is in the grey space above v1, and it will create another track for you. Alternatively, you can also right click in the track area on the left and select add another track. OK, so now you will only be able to see the video that you put in v2 as the video clips are hierarchal, that is, the upper most video layer is what takes priority in what sits on top of what. So in your canvas, there should be a button there has a square in it with bits missing out of the line. Click on that and select image and wireframe and now make sure that the second video clip is selected in the time line. In your canvas window you will now be able to see the second video layer's wireframe and as a result, have access to that video layers resize nodes in the corners of the wireframe. Just click and drag those to resize that video layer's image window and you will now be able to see the video underneath. That's it really. Position and resize to taste and when you press play, both video layers will play at the same time with one sitting on top of the other :) Cheers, John
  • final cut express
    any chance i may be able to call you for a brief step by step, over the phone? if so, email me at jessefelder@charter.net i have opened a new project, gotten both clips into the browser, managed to size the inset picture using the wireframe thing. finally got some of the fluff at the beginning of the main video trimmed off, tried setting mark in, and mark out, and then cut (from the edit pulldown) but instead of erasing just the part between the two marks, it erased everything. seemingly managed to scoot the v2 clip to where it would be synchronized with v1, still cant get them to play together, v2 inside v1 tried rendering it, (whatever that does) but ran out of disk space, so i have now freed up some disc space, and am trying to re-render, as i write this groveling plea for help. further, i went and spent 39.95 on a book and tutorial disk on FCE4, and am about 125 pages into it, but too impatient, besides the book made me think i had the kinks worked out. they aren't if willing, let me know when would be a good time to call. thanks, jesse
  • Cajypiu
    Hi Jesse, I just sent you an email :) j
  • final cut express
    just in case anyone besides john is following along . . .: i have wire-framed the inset pic (v2), positioned it on the main pic (v1) and razor bladed out the unwanted parts of each. for some reason, as i played it, either: A) the canvas played the v1 track, or B) the viewer played the small inset v2 track, albeit against a big black "main screen" (meaning: where v1 should have been) but never the two at the same time, on the canvas, or on the viewer. both clips start at 00:00:00.00 when i paused the v1 in the canvas, then the inset v2 (the pic IN the pic) appeared, albeit paused, in its desired location on the canvas, correctly sitting on the paused v1 image. on a whim, i decided to save it as a quicktime.mov, just as a shot in the dark, and, somehow when i now play the .mov file in quicktime, it works just like i wanted it to. not sure why the finished product wont play all the elements as desired, while still in fce4 i am wondering if it has to do with the interlocking puzzle piece shapes in the time-line??? i am not really sure what to call them, but they are almost the left-most things in the timeline window just to the left of the "padlock" icon, (and just right of the green "film-frame" icon) these interlocking "puzzle piece" buttons "v1,v1" and "v2,v2"; identify themselves as "source", and "destination" (when i hover my mouse-pad pointer over them) i didn't really do anything them when i moved the media into the timeline, i just left v1 and v1 connected, when i put the v1 media in the time line, and I left v1 connected to v1, as i put the 'inset track' into the v2 part of the timeline. should i have disconnected v1 from v1? (so they were slightly separated? should i have moved the "source button" up to the v2 line? if so . . . should i have connected it to the "destination button"? or left it slightly separated? does any of this make any difference?
  • Cajypiu
    Hi Jesse, OK, a couple of things I noticed from your comments above: Outside of the hard drive space thing we talked about yesterday, the only way you can get stuff to play in the canvas is by playing the sequence in the timeline. Just to recap for anyone migrating from iMovie. Final Cut has a window to preview/ edit clips (the viewer) and a canvas for displaying what the edited piece will look like once it is effectively 'projected'... think of it as a cinema canvas. iMovie just has the one window for both previewing clips before you put them on to your timeline as well as displaying what the finished product will look like. In Final Cut, hitting space bar is like pressing play on a tape deck right, but depending on which window you have active will determine what Final Cut thinks you are wanting to play. For example, regarding your A) and B) comments, for the canvas to play must mean that either the timeline or the canvas window itself is active (and you can tell by the albeit subtle lighter colour of grey in the window frame compared to the rest). For footage to play in the viewer, you have either double clicked the respective region in the time line to put it in to the viewer so when you press play or hit the space bar, Final Cut thinks you want play the clip in the viewer.... Or.... you double clicked/ dragged footage from the browser in to the viewer and hit space bar there. Because you have resized your wheel camera shot, that is why it plays with the black background, that's fine by the way. When you see loads black like that in the viewer, it just means that it is not full size for the project you are working on. The fact that you exported your footage and it works is making me scratch my head somewhat. I think it would help if you maybe post up your computer's specifications so I can rule a few things out. How much free hard drive space do you have (right or control click on your Macintosh HD symbol on your desktop and 'get info', how much RAM you have (this will be displayed when you go to about this mac from your blue apple in the top left corner), you're already on the latest quicktime and tiger build so that's cool. Those interlocking puzzle pieces are relevant if/when you bring your footage to the timeline using the insert/ overwrite buttons or shortcuts. There are interlocking puzzle pieces for video and audio and the impact they will have to the footage in your timeline will depend on how you put your clips in to the timeline. For example, If your v1, a1 and a2 puzzles pieces are locked, when you drag footage down from the viewer, and let go of the mouse button with you clip along with it's sound will be put on to the timeline. Unlock the a1 and a2 audio puzzle bits the next time you drag footage down it will only bring the video with it. It becomes really clear when you use the insert and overwrite buttons when placing footage on to the timeline. If you have more than one video track, depending on where that v1 puzzle bit is connected to will determine what video track the clip gets placed. Just remember, if you drag your footage from the viewer straight to the timeline then as long as your clips are going where they should, the puzzle bits won't effect your play back in the canvas at all. I did find a website where a newspaper journalist was doing exactly what you are trying to do and he posted a video about it so I will see if I can find it and post it later. The fact that your exported footage is behaving itself it making me think that it's a software issue rather than something you're doing wrong though....
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: