macProVideo.com
Forums
  • NewAppleMacGuy
    New Mac User - External Hard drive needed for FC?
    I have ordered a Macbook - didn't get the Pro but I'm told using basic functions of Final Cut should be no problem. I have a couple of questions for you kind folks.. -Is it true that I really need to get an external hard drive while working with Final Cut? I've been told that it's too much for the internal hard drive to handle. -If this is true is it also true that USB 2.0 can't handle the media transfer to an external hard drive? Do I need to have a drive with a firewire port? -If I need a drive with a firewire port, I really want to get one that doesn't need an external power source but can be powered through the Macbook. I've seen hard drives for firewire listed as IEEE 1394, IEEE1394a, IEEE1394b. Which one do I need to get? Thanks very much
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: New Mac User - External Hard drive needed for FC?
    Hi NewAppleMacGuy, Welcome to the MPV forums & the Mac community! Did you buy FC Express or FC Studio? I ask, because Motion 3 (that comes as part of FCS 6) may not be able to run on the Macbook due to it's needs for a more powerful graphics card. All Macbooks come with a 5400rpm HD drive. This will usually slow down when working with video and audio content. It's best to get a fast Firewire drive running at 7200rpm+. This allows you to run the OS and Final Cut from your internal drive and stream or run content from your external drive. On Mac's, Firewire is much faster than USB 2.0 so it's a much much better choice. I haven't investigated firewire drives that are bus powered (by the mac) - they will drain your battery more than if you have a self powered one. I'd recommend getting a firewire 400, 7200rpm external drive which is self-powered. Let us know if you have any questions. Cheers Rounik
  • Hisham
    Re: New Mac User - External Hard drive needed for FC?
    Hi there just to add my 2-cent worth of advice. External HD will be mainly used for your media files, which are the files you capture straight from your tape or receive them otherwise. The external HD is often called SCRATCH disk, which you need to set within your application, so that FC store them there. It is recommended to have a an external scratch disk, so that you can separate your media files from anything else. You can then take the scratch disk and your project files and work on any computer by linking your project file with the media files. This could come very handy. Data transfer is normally faster, especially if you are using FW800, I am not sure if the MacBook does have one, but if you have one, stick to FW. When buying external HD, ensure that FW is included. Cheers Hisham
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: