macProVideo.com
Forums
  • macguy
    Batch capture issues
    I am having a problem capturing video to my Apple G5 from my Sony HVR-Z1U 1080i60. Every time I try to batch capture the video searches for the In point and then plays, pauses, rewinds and pauses again. Eventually it quits. I've tried another camera, another firewire cable, turning off settings within final cut, but nothing seems to work. Let me know if I can do anything else other than reshoot. Thanks
  • Tulu
    Re: Batch capture issues
    Hi I dont know much about it because I am a newcomer in editing but I had the same problem. I solved this by: after blacking the tape I play couple of second without recording in my HVR Z1U then I start shoot. Another way was in the begining of the recorded tape I deleted couple of seconds and then tried to capture and it worked. Because when I filmed, I filmed from the very begining so it could not see the timecode I guess. I might be wrong, I am just guessed and it worked. Thanks Tulu
  • Hisham
    Re: Batch capture issues
    Hi there 2 things you should be aware of when capturing. FCP always looks for a time code to capture. It is therefore a good idea to 'time-code' your tape before shooting your footage. This will write (engrave) a time code on your tape. When you are shooting, your footage will then correspond to this time code. Cool, but that's not all. Now as we are capturing footage, FCP needs to know a 'pre-roll' duration, which means when you set an in-point, how far back (of this in-point) should FCP set itself to roll. This is important so that when the tape rolls, your capture is at normal speed and therefore the capture process will be perfect. Now, if you have specified in the setting to have this duration to be 5 sec, for example, FCP will take your in-point position and subtracts 5 secs from it using the time code. It will then start running and capturing when your specified time code appears. But to do so, FCP has to be able to read the time code - 5 secs. If you are at the very beginning of your tape this can cause problems, so you have to either select a 'later' in-point or set the 'pre-roll' duration to a short duration. Mind you, a shorter duration may not be ideal as the camera rolling needs to get into gear first. Anyway, I hope you get the point. Now you see why time-coding your tape initially is good idea (there is other good reasons for it too, but I won't tell all the secrets in one post :-)) and also checking your pre-roll and post roll setting is important too in the capturing process. Sorry for the lengthy reply, but I hope it is helpful. Cheers Hisham
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: