macProVideo.com
Forums
  • ChasFord
    Quicktime .mov looks flat.
    I have what might be a dumb question and I'm a bit of a newbie to FCP. I've been editing some videos that are only going to be seen on the internet in FCP2, which my client wants delivered as a quick time .mov compressed as DV/DVC PRO NTSC. When I play the quick time file after compression it looks much flatter than the image I see on the FCP2 Canvas. I have been sending the sequences to Color for contrast and color adjustments but the DV/DVC PRO NTSC file still never comes close to the crisp beautiful visual I see in Color or FCP2. Can anyone give me any suggestions or maybe just explain why there's such a difference in quality? Also, even though I can't send it to my client, is there a compression I can use when I export my FCP sequences using QT conversion that will match or come close to the contrast I see in FCP on my computer monitor? Thanks
  • Hisham
    Re: Quicktime .mov looks flat.
    Hi there Well, the first thing I would do is view my clip with the QT player using high quality setting. This does normally give me a good indication of how my exported file looks like. So be sure whenever you export a QT movie and viewing it with QT player the High Quality setting is set [command + J]. Now the second and most important thing is the compression. I would recommend to use compressor for your purpose because it has some presets that match your requirements. Select from the presets the one that is more applicable to your client needs and after the compression, view it with your HQ-set QT-Player. Good Luck. Hisham
  • Cajypiu
    Re: Quicktime .mov looks flat.
    Hi guys, second the high quality quicktime thing. If you didn't do it on playback, go in to movie properties within Quicktime and select the video track and then check the high quality box. It makes a massive difference and I think it's some kind of legacy thing regarding why it isn't on as default. Just to double check your terminology though, by flat, do you mean colours or sharpness?
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: