macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Young Boy
    Rendering!?!?
    Hey everybody. I have just started using final cut express, and have been fighting with it for a couple of days now. my problem is that i cant do the preview (when pressing the L button). It keeps making the blue screen saying "unrendered"..... Now i have seen a couple of videos, but the only thing they say in it is that i should hit the apple button and R... but it takes sometimes 30min for just 20 seconds of video with maybe one effect in it!? Am i doing it wrong? or is there a better way to do it faster? I work on a macbookpro with 2.2GHz intel core 2 duo and got 2gb DDR2 SDRAM... so i dont think power is the problem? anyway, would be nice with a little help, have been up till the next morning every day for a couple of days fighting with it. (sorry if my english aint too good, but i am from denmark).
  • Jim Kanter
    Re: Rendering!?!?
    Which version of FC Express?
  • Young Boy
    its FC Express 4.0.....
  • Jim Kanter
    What format of video are the clips using and what are the sequence settings?
  • Young Boy
    well, the format of the video, is just a .Mov file, with mpeg-4 codec in size 1280 x 720... i'm not sure where to find the sequence settings, but i took the sequence file in the project bar, and Ctrl-clicked on it, and clicked on setting. it says: Track size: Medium Thumbnail Display: name plus thumbnail nothing is checked in the track display box. at the "render control" is says checked in the Filters box and the "frame blending for speed" too. The Frame Rate and Resolution is both set to 100%.
  • Jim Kanter
    First off, turn off frame blending unless you are making clips slow motion. Frame blending slows rendering W-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-Y down. Second, it is probably working very hard since it has to translate the MPEG-4 compression into something editable. I don't have FC Express, but with FC Pro 6 you can convert to the ProRes 422 codec on import which makes editing much faster. Sequence settings in FCPro are found by selecting a sequence and pressing command-zero. I guess FCE doesn't have the same controls since it doesn't really need them. FC Express is designed for people shooting standard DV or HDV. MPEG-4 is neither.
  • Young Boy
    found out that it also had that command-zero key... anyway, i tried turning off the frame blending, but it really didn't do anything. about the clips... i have visual hub to convert movie clips... but it only converts to the must normal types, like .AVI, WMV, an so on.... ? any of those who is better to work with than mpeg-4???? i tried to play with the resolution a bit today, and it helped with the speed... of course its never nice to make the quality worse (from 100% to 50%), but it helped from 2min, to allmost 30sec, rendering a 40sec clips.
  • Jim Kanter
    [quote:70956]about the clips... i have visual hub to convert movie clips... but it only converts to the must normal types, like .AVI, WMV, an so on.... ? any of those who is better to work with than mpeg-4???? [/quote] .avi should work, but .mov is best as FC uses QuickTime files natively. [quote: 70956]i tried to play with the resolution a bit today, and it helped with the speed... of course its never nice to make the quality worse (from 100% to 50%), but it helped from 2min, to allmost 30sec, rendering a 40sec clips. [/quote] 50% resolution means 1/4 the number of pixels (1/2 horizontally and 1/2 vertically) so it should be about 4x faster.
  • Young Boy
    thanks for the help :)
  • Cajypiu
    Hi Guys, just reading through some of the above, if you don't have quicktime pro to convert your footage, and you didn't want to export out of FC Express in to a format to continue editing on, you can download something like MPEGSTREAMCLIP which converts pretty much anything to anything and it's quick too! As Jim says, .MOV files are best to work on in Final Cut and to make sure you have set up your playback settings in the sequence to actually play even with effects, make sure your playback is set to RT dynamic both for video and audio. You'll find these settings in the tab of the sequence. It'll say RT or ST and you want to select RT.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: