macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Young Boy
    Re: Rendering!?!?
    hi. i tried to find the place saying RT and ST... but it only said Safe RT and Unlimited RT in the tab of my sequence?
  • Cajypiu
    Hello mate, Unlimited RT is what you want to choose and then if you click and hold on the tab you should be able to choose dynamic from your frame rate playback and video playback lists in that tab. It will basically tell your computer to slow down if it can't handle playing back at full frame rate. Is that what you get?
  • Young Boy
    i found all the thing, but it didn't work. it only made it worse somehow? it gives me a warning about dropped frames. i dont know why it is so slow. But thanks for the help :) i will probably just wait using it fully untill next year, where i'm going to buy a really upgraded mac pro for my music studio anyway... i hope that kind of power will be able to fix the problem. but again, thanks for the help :)
  • Cajypiu
    Hello mate, I thought that might happen. That's telling you that it isn't able to play back at full frame rates and the reason why you are getting those messages is because of a preference. If you go to Final Cut's User preferences there should be a check box there that says something about 'report dropped frames during playback'. Make sure that is unselected and then you will be able to playback uninterrupted. Don't be disheartened... this is one of the things you have to deal with when working with video. Having a mac pro might not make it easier either by the way. Are you running the video you are editing off of your internal hard drive? If you invest in an external hard drive and set that up as your scratch disk, that will make your system a lot more responsive.
  • Young Boy
    HEY HEY!!! IT WORKS NOW!!! i can finally do some playback, without rendering the whole thing first... GREAT! THANKS! damn i'm so happy now. well i am just using my internal hard drive, havent bought an external yet..... but what is a scratch disk by the way?... and how do i make an external a scratch disk?
  • Cajypiu
    Good work! Well done mate. A scratch disk is basically Final Cut's wording for having a dedicated hard drive to store and play back video footage captured from a DV tape/ camera that's all. If you think about it like this. A hard drive can only read and write so much information at any one time right? And your internal hard drive on your laptop HAS to spin round to provide information to the computer to run the operating system and any applications that are open already. Video files are big, really big and if you are then asking your computer to run the operating system, applications and then load it up further with loads of video data, you are going to seriously limit how your computer performs. That's where scratch disks come in. You get a dedicated hard drive to take care of the video data and you leave the internal drive to take care of the operating system and applications and that's it. As for how to make one, connect a hard drive, preferably a firewire drive over a USB by the way.. or you could look at eSATA since you have a macbook pro for optimum performance, and then go to your system settings under the final cut menu and setup up your external drive to be the main capture disk... and that's it really! The only thing is that the autosave vault should really be kept on the hard drive that you back up as these are your roll back files if it all goes to custard!
  • Young Boy
    thats sounds really easy...... damn, i just spended all day working in FC-E...... Thank you so much!
  • Cajypiu
    No worries my friend. All friends, families and partners of present will now be referred to as Final Cut widows! I know that feeling all too well!
  • Hisham
    Hi there Well this shouldn't take that long, and I am assuming you haven't done highly sophisticated compositing with many effects. In addition to the above, if FC asks you to render, this means that it can't play in real time without "baking" your effects with the footage first. Something you may also want to check in general, I would first close any unnecessary applications that are open, I would render only a saved project, I'd check my memory preferences allocated to FC in my user/system preferences, including cache. Other things that I normally do as a maintentance beyond the applications is to run disk utility to repair permission, zapp my RAM occasionally (this is only me), run maintenance scripts and check that I am using all the SW updates for the apps that I am using. That sounds like a lot but maybe FC is having a bit of difficulty with something litte but causing the headache. Try the above and good luck. Save any work you have done before though. Looks like you solved the problem anyway. Hisham
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: