macProVideo.com
Forums
  • FCP / DVD quality with long vids
    How do you get decent DVD with long video?
    I've had great results with short vids, but now I have a concert that's an hour and 50 minutes (110 minutes) long. I get good .mov export files, but when i try to put them into iDVD or DVD Studio Pro, they get badly degraded from the compression. There must be a way to get good vid that's nearly 2 hours long on a DVD. Can anybody offer some help? Thanks, Joe V
  • Hisham
    Re: How do you get decent DVD with long video?
    Hi Joe The length of the fotage should not affect your quality. What affects the quality is first how good is raw footage, secondly what you are doing to it and lastly how you are compressing it. Okay, I will assume that you are doing point 1 and 2 perfectly, everything is set up and it looks fantastic BEFORE export or compression, right? I am also assuming that you want to compress for DVD and not for web, iPod, apple TV ...etc. For DVD SP4 you can even use a Non-selfcontained FCP project file (as long as your media files are available on the same or linked drive) to do your compression. Please use in your settings for compression DVD MPEG-2 SD (or HD, if that is what you are shooting) and also check the options of Mode, Bitrate and field order. There are some guidelines there, if you google them, but normally the default settings do work quite well. in iDVD is the same. The quality should not really suffer from the length of your footage. It is just a longer workload for your machine, not a harder one! Cheers Hisham
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: