macProVideo.com
Forums
  • wetstuff
    MacBook Pro ..early model OK?
    I can buy a 2.16GHz for about 1/2 the price of a new one ..but I am concerned that the video card is not up to rendering consumer HD. Any of you using one? Thanks. Jim
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: MacBook Pro ..early model OK?
    Hi Jim, what is the video card included? How much ram will you get? Is it a Core2Duo or CoreDuo? Cheers Rounik
  • wetstuff
    Rounik: I found a NIB ..17", 2.33 for $1500. It has the ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 GPU ..and Core 2 Duo w/2GB of RAM. I'm pretty much stuck in the Bronze Age for the things I do, so there was little sense for me to buy the latest/greatest. I know I needed to avoid the G4 - I don't want to that far behind in three years. Cheers. Jim
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Jim, Core2Duo, 17", 2.33Ghz, 2GBram... seems like a very good deal! I don't know much about the particular graphics card... but you should be looking to get one with at least 128mb memory to run Motion2 in FCS2... There is an Apple event being held this tuesday 14th October to unveil new Apple laptops... I suspect there may be a price drop on new mac's, and perhaps this will effect the value of 2nd hand macs too? Let us know how you get on. Cheers Rounik
  • Hisham
    Hi there My general advice if you are REALLY going to use heavy motion graphics or 3D animation programs is not to save on 3 items, they should be your top notch items: Processor, Video Card & RAM. Your computer (or laptop) should by well fed with these because you are going to challenge it. Though this will cost a bit but it will ease the pain of waiting. Normally the MacPro is more configurable to these kind of items and you can change & swap as you go. With laptops (MacBook Pros), because they are sleek and small, they offer limited configurability, therefore, I had to get the most expensive MacBook Pro jammed with the 3 top notch items with my order. I am quite happy with it, I could use even more power (there is never enough) but I do enjoy the mobility & portability. This is where you have to decide. Good luck. Hisham
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Hisham, Sure, the more power the better for big motion graphics projects... I know people who have been using iMac's successfully with Motion 1 for small to medium projects... it is possible, but you need some patience ;-D Tha new Macbook looks like it'll run Motion (as yet unconfirmed) which will be great as a Motion graphics sketch pad before transfering it over to a better equipped Mac, but still - no way to get HDV onto the Macbook causes inconvenience for many editors.... not to mention that you can't use target disk mode or back up to your existing firewire external HDD's or use any decent low latency audio interfaces... It might feel better to a lot of Mac users if macbooks had never had firewire... but to remove firewire completely, when there appears to be more than enough room to accommodate it, has caused some puzzlement! Take care, Rounik
  • Hisham
    Hi Rounik You are right about HDV and FW, I believe the will be some development there as HDV becomes more commoditised. Maybe one day we'll find on a Mac not only a FW or FW800 but a FW HD with Bluray HDMI interface (or something). I can see why MacBook Pros will always be behind their MacPro Parents, but having said that, they are still a fantastic product and quite enjoyable. Cheers Hisham
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Hisham, Sorry about that... I went a bit off topic there! I thought I was in a different thread :-D Yes, I love my Macbook Pro 2.4. It's got enough power to handle pretty much everything I throw at it, and it's also my mobile training mac and mobile recording studio :-) I'm still amazed at what it enables me to do from time to time! Best Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: