macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Ph
    Multicamera Editing
    Hello again. I have a wedding to edit where I used multiple cameras at different angles that I need to sync and then cut back and forth between. I have the tutorial that shows how to do this, but I get error messages whenever I try to set the multiclip sequence. One message says that the frame sizes are different so it won't set. The other message says that the codecs are different. Is there any way to change the codec setting after the capture? How can I make sure to capture using the same codec? I am using three different model cameras, but they are all HD.
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Multicamera Editing
    Hi Ph, what settings did you use when importing the footage? Did you import them all as the same size, type, etc? Cheers Rounik
  • Ph
    Hi Rounik, I don't think there is much that I can do about the frame size differences, since that is a function of the camera more than anything else. The type and such that I used seemed to be dictated by the camera. FCP wouldn't recognize the camera unless I set it up correctly. That's not to say I didn't screw up the capture, mind you, but I am wondering if the codec can be altered after capture? I will look at re-capturing after I watch the next two MPV tutorials on the subject. Thanks, Ph
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Ph, You can export the sequence (File > Export to quicktime...) and then choose the codec from there. Be careful not to use any settings that might diminish the quality of the video. There may be a better way... can you not resize the clip in the sequence viewer window? Cheers Rounik
  • Ph
    The sequence viewer window is the canvas, right? I haven't tried that yet, but do you have any guidance on how that would work? Each camera is captured in its own clip file, about one hour a piece. Can I resize the entire clip using the sequence viewer or should I pare the clips down to subclips? Ph
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Ph, I'm not near FCP now so bear with me... Click on a clip in the time line. In the top right hand view window (where you view the current sequence video) there is drop down menu option... i think it says "Image + wireframe". Select it. Now using the handle bars on the wireframe in the view window, you can resize the frame of each clip. Cheers Rounik
  • Cajypiu
    Hi Guys, not sure where you've got to with all of this but it sounds as though the cameras were set at different resolutions. Not all HDV is alike! Progressive, interlaced, frame rates... you might want to look at creating a lowest common denominator with respect to the footage formats rather than zooming in to skirt round the problem. Ideally anyway. As Rounik pointed out though, just try and make sure that you don't deteriorate the footage too much in the process of finding a common codec!
  • Ph
    OK, I did it the hard way with the blade tool and turning off the vdeo layers I didn't want to see... its all a big kluge, but I got something I can work with. Now when I try to output the final project I get another compatibility error in DVD Studio. I know there is a whole other forum for that proggie, but you guys have heard the whole story from the beginning so I wanted to run it by you first. Any suggestions as to how I can export in a lower resolution? TIA Ph
  • Cajypiu
    I'd use compressor, if you have Final Cut Studio and there should even be a DVD preset you can use. Alternatively, look up the MPEG requirements for DVD and set the output of Final Cut to that, using Quicktime conversion. That should do it!
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: