macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Ph
    Moving the Scrubber on the Timeline
    I have been watching the MPV tutorials looking for a way to easily move the scrubber bar around. It looks to me like the presenters are simply placing the cursor at the desired point on the timeline and moving the scrubber with a click. Is there a key combination that makes this possible? So far, the only way I have been able to move the scrubber has been to click and drag it, but on a long sequence that is very difficult. Any hints on moving the scrubber around in the timeline? TIA Ph
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Moving the Scrubber on the Timeline
    Hey Ph, Still not back near FCP... but I believe J K L keys allow scrubbing? Is that right? Cheers Rounik
  • Ph
    J K and L are like the jog button in that they allow you to move the scrubber linearly from where it is. I thought i saw the instructors move the scrubber from the end of a sequence to the middle of the sequence with a simple mouse click. It was more of a jump than a linear scrub. Sort of like using the up and down arrow keys to move from the end to the beginning of a sequence, only they were moving to places in the middle of the sequence. I would think it would be a fairly fundamental action, so if you aren't familiar with it, perhaps I am mistaken. Ph
  • Rounik Admin
    Right, I thought you meant you wanted to scrub in realtime (frame by frame) - which you can of course do by using the cursor keys too... Yes, in the timeline left click on the light grey stripe at the top to move the scrubber (playhead) to that point in the sequence. While the sequence is playing, clicking in that grey stripe will move the playhead there and continue playback too. Is this what you wanted to know? By the way, in reply to your earlier question re: the sequence viewer. You are indeed correct, I meant the Canvas. :-) Thanks Rounik
  • Jim Kanter
    There are several ways to scrub in FCP: In the scrubber bar: - Click on a point to jump to that frame - Click and drag to scrub through the footage -Pressing "l" multiple times scrubs forward at different speeds (starting with 100%) - Pressing "j" scrubs backwards at different speeds. - Pressing and holding down "k" and then "j" or "l" together scrubs slowly forwards or backwards with smooth audio - Pressing the right arrow key moves 1 frame forward - Pressing shift-right arrow moves 1 second forward - Left arrow moves 1 frame back - Shift-left arrow moves 1 second back - Home key jumps to the start of media/sequence - End key jumps to the end of media/sequence - Up arrow jumps to previous edit point (start of media/sequence, in point, out point, end of media/sequence) - Down arrow jumps to next edit point
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: