macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Matt Hair
    Converting mini DV tapes recorded in NTSC to PAL?
    Hi, Recently I was travelling in Argentina and my Sony Camcoder was stolen. Through insurance I replaced the camera in Argentina. Now that I'm back home in Australia, upon connecting the camera to FCE 4 I have learnt that the camera records in NTSC (Australia is PAL). The data is still on the mini DV tapes at the moment. Before I start importing hours of data in NTSC in FCE 4, can someone please tell me what is the best way and when can I convert this project to PAL? I don't have any other software. A friend mentioned importing it all in NTSC and then changing the sequence timelines to PAL but I don't know how to do this. Is this the best way? I want to create a DVD to play in my DVD player. cheers Matt
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Converting mini DV tapes recorded in NTSC to PAL?
    Hi Matt, Sorry to hear that... I'm not 100% sure about this.. but what I would do is capture say 30 seconds of footage in NTSC into an NTSC project in FCE. Export it as an uncompressed QT movie. It's important to convert nTSC to PAL. I've heard of a couple of solutions to do this, but have not tried them: [url]http://dvfilm.com/atlantis/[/url] and JES deinterlacer: [url]http://www.xs4all.nl/~jeschot/home.html[/url] which is apparently very good! Now try importing the newly converted movies into a new PAL project in FCE. Do let us know if this works. Cheers Rounik
  • Cajypiu
    Hi Guys, I'd just import it all as NTSC so set your easy setup and capture/ sequencer settings to NTSC DV. You can convert to PAL if you so desire before you burn to DVD but to be honest most DVDs and TVs for that matter are PAL/ NTSC switchable and they do it automatically. MPEGSTREAMCLIP is a handy app to have a round to convert most things but you can do it from Quicktime as well if you have the PRO version. As your friend already mentioned, you can import as NTSC and then create a new sequence, change it's settings to NTSC (see in the browser or the preferences for new sequencer settings) and then render as NTSC. Job done :)
  • Cajypiu
    render as PAL.... not NTSC in that last paragraph. I need another coffee!
  • Matt Hair
    Re: Converting mini DV tapes recor...
    Hi, Sorry, can I revisit your feedback with a deviation. Basically I still haven't been able to learn how to fully use FCE. It's a lot more technical than iMovie HD. I would like to keep using iMovie HD. Here's my new question: My new Sony Camcoder purchased in Argentina is NTSC. In Australia the format is PAL. I still prefer using iMovie HD, after importing and creating the movie in NTSC it's all grainy and I can hardly read the titles when I play it back after using iDVD. Not good. I still have the data on the mini DV tapes. How do I get the raw data into iMovie HD and work in PAL format? What options do I have? So far I have done the following: 1. Imported the footage in FCE as NTSC but with a PAL sequence. 2. Used JES Deinterlacer to convert the Quicktime files to PAL. 3. In iMovie HD, I have imported the Quicktime files. They seem fine when I play them. BUT....would I have lost image quality in doing the above?? cheers Matt
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Matt, I just replied to your thread in the iMovie forum... and suggested JES Deinterlacer there... btw, if you want to learn Final Cut Express, which in my opinion is very big step up from iMovie (in a good way) check out our tutorial: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/finalcut7101[/url] (also applicable to Final Cut Express). Once you get the basic concepts of Final Cut, it becomes very enjoyable to edit using it IMHO. Relating to your last question... I think with any kind of conversion between NTSC to PAL you may lose some quality... I think your workflow is what I would choose to do. How does it work for you? What about if you create an NTSC iMovie project and iDVD project and burn as an NTSC DVD? I believe modern TVs should be able to play these back ok... but again I haven't tested this out. Rounik
  • Cajypiu
    Kia Ora Matt and Rounik! I can second the Final Cut tutorials as they will cover not just to work with the software but will give you ideas on workflows as well. Maybe not for this specific process, but worth checking out all the same. What settings are you burning at with iDVD. For things to get grainy there's either going to be too much compression going on (as iDVD will be converting everything to MPEG2 some down sampling will take place) and/ or some potential double conversion. That is, you import as NTSC (720 * 480 resolution) - convert to PAL @ (720 * 576) and if iDVD is set to burn NTSC discs, you are converting back to 720 * 480 again pushing and pulling your image all over the place. The other thing to note is that projects burnt as PAL/ NTSC will never have crisp sharp titles. The resolution just isn't high enough. One thing to try would be to export out at a higher fidelity codec such as Apple Pro Res and then use that file to compress to fit on to DVD. As Rounik mentioned, Final Cut is really nice to use once you get your head around it and gives you a lot more control over iMovie and is less temperamental too! The only thing I would say that goes in iMovie's favour is the ease of importing footage from DV tape. Final cut can be really fussy about broken timecode so you have to tweak it's preferences to get over it, whereas iMovie almost expects it so deals with it automatically. Food for thought. Cheers, John
  • TimyLi
    Depending on where you live, DVD formats differ from each country. Generally speaking, a DVD disc released in a country which adopts NTSC television system couldn’t be recognized and played back by DVD player where the country adopts PAL television system. Unless the DVD disc is region free, most DVD players could only play back DVD discs released with the same television system. Here is a post that would introduce detailed information about NTSC and PAL, ways to play back NTSC and PAL DVD discs, and solutions to convert NTSC to PAL DVD and create PAL DVD disc out of videos: http://www.leawo.org/tutorial/ntsc-to-pal-convert-ntsc-dvd-to-pal-dvd.html
  • summerslover
    Re: Re: Converting mini DV tapes recorded in NTSC to PAL?
    PAL and NTSC are the two most common used standard broadcast formats. PAL stands for Phase Alternating Line. NTSC stands for National Television Standards Committee. PAL adopts a frame rate of 25 fps and 720x576 aspect ratio, and is widespread in most of Europe, Australia and large parts of Africa and Asia. For NTSC, a frame rate of 30 fps at an aspect ratio of 720x480, is used in North America, Japan and South Korea. And I think this site could help you to solve problem: [url]http://www.videoconverterfactory.com/tips/pal-to-ntsc.html[/url]
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: