macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Jim Bannockx
    Sharpness pdf file in final cut pro
    Hi. I had a job for a client who asked me to make a small movie . I had a pdf file in the background, and I had to do some movements with other things in the foreground, (lines , circles, little animals, etc.. ) Now, when I finished the movie, export it to a quicktime file. The pdf file in the background looses some sharpness, and I didn't and don't understand the reason why? I made from the pdf also a jpeg, tiff file, but with the same results. How can I have a steady background ? grtz from Belgium Jim
  • Cajypiu
    Re: Sharpness pdf file in final cut pro
    Hi Jim, can you tell us a little about the export settings you used? Cheers, John
  • Jim Bannockx
    While I live in Europe, my export settings are: export using quicktime conversion DV-pal frame rate: 25 compressor quality : best scan mode: interlaced. aspect ratio: 4:3 I don't know if it is a problem in settings cause the foreground of the movie is sharp. Strange thing that I have when I see the movie in Final cut on my compu screen and monitor. It gives the same problems while playing the movie. When I hit the stop button, The sharpness is ok. Maybe it is the kind of pdf that causes the problem. . I don't know. Thanks in advance for the answer. Jim
  • Cajypiu
    Hi Jim, hummm.... the settings look alright from this end but it sounds like a compression thing. Do you have any motion blur on at all? Are you using high quality PDFs? Do you have the high quality image checkbox ticked in Quicktime's preferences? Have you tried using progressive rather than interlaced? Have you tried exporting to a higher quality codec to see if that makes any difference? What is your primary intended medium of playback? DVD, web, LCD etc?
  • Jim Bannockx
    Hi, Thank you for your answer. I don't use any motion blur at all. And of course, I use high quality PDF's. But I have to see if I checked the high quality image checkbox. Maybe I have to try the progressive way. The final product has to come on a dvd. So, I tried the highest possible quality. Anyway, I will check it out tomorrow, (because, here it is 12 o clock midnight now)and I will let you know. Important question is: Is it possible to work in final cut with pdf files without loosing quality. If yes, I search till I find the solution. . thanks in Advance, from Belgium Jim
  • Cajypiu
    Hey Jim, to be honest, I'm not sure. I just did a quick test with a screen print PDF and you're right, the text in particular suffers all kinds of aliasing. Saying that, the resolution is limited on screen captures so probably not the best of tests. Is there any reason you are using PDFs over post script/other graphics formats. j
  • Jim Bannockx
    Hi Yadj, My client send me pdf files to work with. I converted them to tiffs, jpeg, but with no better result. I think, starting from pdf was not a good way. . On the other hand, I figured some things out on other forums. FCP is rendering PDF files as bitmap files, so quality is less then the original file. What PDF files need in fcp is continuous rasterization, frame by frame, to have sharp images . So , I tried to find some software plugin to run in fcp, and I came to "Ampede PDF link 2.0". This is software that will do the job in fcp. 1 strange thing is the fact that I can't enter the download page,and I remember that I had this same problem a few months ago when I was looking for solving the pdf problem. Maybe there is some plugin in FCP, I have to check this. Anyway a lot of thanks in advance. Willy
  • Cajypiu
    I must admit, it's an interesting challenge and my gut reaction was that it was a combination of lack of resolution (high res PDF or not... comparatively speaking) compression. I just did a quick search and came across the same plugin you did.. tell you what, a friend of mine is Mr know all things about anything video so I'll have a chat with him later on today and see what he suggests. Will get back to you right after these messages.... j
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: