macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Cajypiu
    Re: While import into FCP from Motion movies changes in Canvas w
    Hi Guys, I've been reading through the posts and I'm guessing that you're still having a problem with the pillar boxing on your footage, and opening the movie in Quicktime. Is that right Tulu? I think the first thing to do would be to understand what the black pillars on either side of the footage mean. When you are working with NTSC or PAL you have two main aspect ratios 16:9 and 4:3. Your projects can represent these aspect ratios, i.e. canvas size, and the camera that you shoot your footage on can also be set up to record in 4:3 or 16:9. The most common kind of black borders are when you get the letterboxing at the top and bottom of the screen. The classic widescreen look. What that is doing is putting 16:9 footage in to a 4:3 container. An example of the reason why you would do that is if a widescreen film is been shown on TV (especially the old CRT TVs). When you have pillar boxes on the sides, that generally means the opposite of the above. You are putting 4:3 footage in to a 16:9 container. You can also have a combination of the two... but why you have them in the first place on your projects is what you want to get your head around. Tulu, you are working in Motion right? Are you creating the films from scratch in there or are you working on footage already from a FCP project? Do you know about the send to motion feature in Final Cut? When you are exporting out from Motion to Quicktime, what settings are you using? What kind of files are you working with in Motion (Video, pictures, titles??) What format are they in? Your export settings will need looking at anyway as I noticed your audio was set to 44.1kHz not 48kHz... and if you are trying to get that in to FCP to combine with other footage, your sample rates won't match and your things will speed up/ slow down. The last thing I'll mention before you get back to me is, when you change your properties in Motion and Final Cut, i.e.... you will have to create a new sequence in Final Cut or a new project in Motion, and open them for the changes to take effect. It won't change the properties of previously created projects and sequences. Alternatively, you can just drag your footage on to the timeline of whatever sequence you are working on, (it will have to be an empty sequence btw) and if the settings do not match up between the sequence and the footage, Final Cut will recognise that and ask if you want change them to match. Does that help? Cheers, John
  • Tulu
    Dear John Thanks a lot for your info. You now what, I shooted those in NTSC with 16:9. Both the motion and FCP had the same setting but even then I was getting the black pillar. But interesting thing is I have solved the problem in a different way. I was following the way of launching motion in FCP and whatever i was doing in motion it was getting updated in FCP except those pillars. What I did you know - I just hold one corner of the wireframe holding down shift, stretch it to fit the whole canvas window and it worked. Now every time when i import in FCP, I just stretch the frame. But it does not affect the actual clip (does not manipulate the actual size of object rather makes it right size) because while it had black border, the actual size of object was out of original shape but when I stretch it, it gets its original size because in both place (FCP and Motion) pixel is 720 X 480. Now my question is why it gets shrink in FCP canvas window? Am I doing the right thing? Please advise. thanks Tuu
  • Cajypiu
    Hi Tulu, no worries. That's what this place is all about :) I'm still wondering what's going on with the whole resizing thing. If you can import the footage in to Final Cut I'm thinking you can open the same footage in Quicktime. So I'm wondering, if you can do that, go to the window menu and you should be able to choose to see the 'show movie properties' option. You may need Quicktime Pro to do this but it will open a window which tells you what tracks are packaged in to the video file. Normally one video and 2 audio and maybe some title stuff. You should be able to select the video track and the properties will appear below. The aspect ratio will tell you what Quicktime currently thinks the video format is. What does it say in there? I still think there's something funky going on with the project properties as I always thought the vertical pillars shouldn't be there if it had 16:9 set on the camera. I always thought that was the case but could be off on that last bit! What camera was it out of interest? Tell us what you find in the properties though as that will help us out about where to try next if it all goes to baileys :) Oh and the canvas window should be set to fit to window from the view options. One of the buttons at the top of the canvas window. Cheers, John
  • Bopdubop
    Re: While import into FCP from Mot...
    So, I'm having the same issue as Tulu was having. I'm taking a clip from my timeline that I've edited from FCP 7 into Motion. I'll send the clip into Motion, do what I need to do, save the clip and when I return to FCP it has the black borders on the sides. Media was ripped from DVD ProRes422 Settings as follows; FCP - 640x480 NTSC 4:3 29.97 Motion - 640x480 8 bit 29.97 What am I doing wrong with this? Thank you so much for your help. Can't thank you enough. Cheers, chad
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: