macProVideo.com
Forums
  • bsmorris70
    ProRes 422
    I have a question about Pro Res.... I have been hearing a lot about it recently... I am fairly new to FCP... I did a short movie shooting in HDV and importing as HDV 1080/60i and editing it and then exporting out to .Mov... Haven't had a problem... Quesiton is... Is there an advantage of importing the HDV in to FCP as Pro Res? I would think that one advantage could be if I was shooting in both HDV and DVC Pro HD and I wanted to settle on one codec... However, if I am shooting and staying with one codec, what is the advantage of using ProRes?
  • Hisham
    Re: ProRes 422
    Hi there, I have not used ProRes yet, but this is what Apple say about it in their white paper: [i]For years now, Final Cut Pro editors have relied on HD formats such as DVCPRO-HD and HDV for native, real-time multistream editing. The efficiency and image quality of these workflows are excellent for content that originates with and can be finished natively in these formats. But such formats were designed under significant camcorder engineer- ing constraints, so they limit the full quality that can be carried in an HD signal. As technology advances, higher-quality HD signals are becoming more common. Examples include scanned film for Digital Intermediate workflows, live events recorded directly to disk, more advanced HD-SDI editing decks with little or no compression, and a new generation of emerging camcorder formats. Users need a new, compact HD format designed specifically for post-production. At the highest end of the HD quality spectrum, Final Cut Pro supports uncompressed HD as a real-time editing format. But the high-bandwidth, RAID-storage requirements of uncompressed HD are daunting for most users' budgets and put it out of reach of all but the largest post-production facilities and high-budget productions. Enter Apple ProRes 422, a new format designed for pristine HD quality, economical hardware configurations, yet high-performance, multistream Final Cut Pro real-time editingfor both high-definition (HD) and standard-definition (SD) formats. Apple ProRes 422 features: -The quality of uncompressed HD at data and storage rates lower than uncompressed SD. - Performance comparable to or better than the existing HD codecs in Final Cut Pro. - The ability to work with HD on slower drives, and with more users on shared storage.[/i] Hope that helps.Cheers
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: