macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Catz Mora
    Image Flicker
    I have a problem. I am making a video slideshow from high contrast black and white images in fcp. We are having trouble with image flicker and some banding. The images are all 300dpi PNGs, the settings are for ntsc 4:3, 720x480. I have limited movement on each image and I have put flicker filters and some deinterlacing on the images that are giving me the most trouble. In FCP everything looks peachy. In Compressor, I ran a standard DVD (mpeg 2) one pass compression with a 48000 sample rate and 29.97 frame rate. One my 30 inch screen the final project looks really great, so I burned a copy and gave it to my friend who viewed it on a 21 inch screen and the flicker returned. The DVD was created as an SD 4:3 Two Pass VBR, Best Quality, with a min bit rate of 4mbps and a max of 8mbps. So I have a few questions: 1) Are there compression settings that are better suited to slideshows. 2) Should I be using different settings in DVD Studio Pro? 3) Are there other programs like maybe Motion or After Effects that have a process that could keep the images from flickering...and if so can you tell me about them. 4) Is my project doomed? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
  • Hisham
    Re: Image Flicker
    I am not sure if there is a straight answer, as you need to check every image by it merits. First, I would check what part of the image is flickering? Very thin lines may flicker with movement and can sometimes be difficult to eliminate. There is a blurring and blending combination that can help here. Also in DVD Studio Pro, you may need to have a look at the simulation first before burning. Field dominance can also have an effect. Hope this helps.
  • Cajypiu
    Hi Catz, can you post up some image examples. It sounds like a field dominance or interlacing thing to me. Are you getting the flickr on LCD screens? Plasma screens? CRT screens? Reason being is that computer screens are what they call progressive scans whilst the older CRT screens are interlaced. Horses for courses! One thing you could do is use something like Quicktime or Mpeg Stream clip to either deinterlace the footage or drop a field and see if that fixes it. If it does, then you know it's an interlacing thing and it's a combination how how you are burning your DVDs, the formats you are exporting to and the final resource you want to playback on. Cheers, j
  • Catz Mora
    I wound up minimizing the movement and running flicker and deinterlacing filters on several of the images. The issue has been primarily plasma screens but I do think I have resolved it. I am running an mpeg 2 compression through compressor...high quality, two pass compression at a high end bit rate of 8.9. Just going to get it onto DVD and cross my fingers at this point.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: