macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Ben
    add a SMPTE clock to video
    I feel like an invader to this forum. I mostly stick to the Logic forum, so this feels funny. I have a question for you guys and I probably post it in the wrong place, but, I got a video I need to write music for, however, it came without a SMPTE clock on it and I would like to add it on top of the video. Is there a simple way to do that? I do not have final cut pro, just whatever came with Leopard and QTpro
  • Cajypiu
    Re: add a SMPTE clock to video
    Hi Ben, any reason you want to add a clock to the video itself? Are you needing the SMPTE code to fit it in to a larger video piece or do you just want to see time progress from start to finish as the video plays? Final Cut does have a timecode generator which would have been one solution but you don't have that! If you have logic, I would just use an SMPTE transport window and resize that over or by the video? Does that work? Cheers, j
  • Hisham
    Hi Ben I am not sure if my response is of any help. But if you want to see the time code of the video, while you are recording or editing something, I would just play the video on QuickTime Player and watch the time code there or at the Inspector window of QT player. Cheers ... Hisham
  • Ben
    Thanks guys, I was just wondering whether there was a small app that would add a visual SMPTE clock other than final cut, but I guess there isn't one.
  • Cajypiu
    No worries Ben, I still think your best bet is the giant SMPTE clock in Logic. Does exactly what you want by the sounds of it. Just that the clock display isn't in the video itself, just another floating window. Cheers, j
  • Ben
    J, Yes, the clock is something I obviously can use, but say I chop the movie and decide to work on a certain segment. It is easier to have it on the actual footage. One can also add a SMPTE channel to a MOV, of course, but that too is a problem when you cute the timeline, or is it not?
  • Cajypiu
    Hi Ben, it depends on why you are chopping the video and what you are going to do to the audio in that video to be honest. For example, you prob shouldn't be trying to do to much to the audio editing wise until the picture is locked off from any further changes. If, however, you are writing music for the picture and it is an interactive process to tune the video cuts to the music or something like that, then you prob need to come up with a file naming convention to help you out! It also depends on how long the video is! If you are working with an SMPTE range/ sub section of a film, then you put the time code range in the file name. When working in logic you can then input your starting SMPTE time code in to the logic project so that the giant timecode reader displays the right numbers associated with that particular video footage. You can add timecode to a movie but again, I'm still trying to work out why you would be cutting the timeline if you are only writing music for the video... not changing the video??
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: