macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Logic Ninja
    can I cut or outline photos
    can I cut pics of things and use them in a video. I don't mean the whole pic, but just a person or a thing from a certain pic. How do I do that, is it possible to do in Final Cut Express, if not how do I trim pics on my mac. Something like this guy is doing here. Is it possible to do, what he does with the wolf and taco on my mac? Please help! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=romhFyniwKk Abhi
  • Cajypiu
    Re: can I cut or outline photos
    Hi Ninja, in short yes you can. You can import a picture in to final cut like any other file using the browser. Depending on which video layer you put it on to in the time line will determine what layer the picture will be above or below. To resize the picture you will need to double click the picture to edit it in the viewer. Select the 'Motion' tab in the viewer and here you can resize, change aspect ratios, rotate things and all that kind of useful stuff. After that, it's all a lot of practise, and keyframing! Incidentally, that dog taco was probably a combination of the above and photoshop. Cheers, j
  • Cajypiu
    I also forgot to mention that to cut the pictures to only show specific segments, you need to use the crop features in the same 'Motion' tab.
  • Logic Ninja
    Thanks a lot for the help YADJ, I found a program called Gimp. Its pretty useful for cutting out certain things from a pic, like a wolf for instance. But when I try to put it in a video its comes with a boxed white background still and its the background I want to get rid off. I know I can't do it alone with cropping alone, is it possible to just have that bear without the background with motion settings?
  • Cajypiu
    Hello mate, what you need to do there is play with your luma channel. Place your picture in it's respective video layer, assuming you have a video track and a pictures track, the picture would be on V2 so that it would sit on top of the video. Right click the picture and go to composite mode and select travel matte - luma... your white should disappear :) I haven't used gimp before but basically, an other option of doing this would be to set the white to be a transparent layer in your picture editing software and final cut would then recognise that when you import the picture displaying the picture how you want it. Hope that works :) Cheers, j
  • Logic Ninja
    yay!! thanks a lot YADJ, it worked. I used the Luma Key and played around a bit and it worked perfectly. Thanks a lot again, now I can finally make a video! Abhi
  • Cajypiu
    Kia Ora, no worries! Pleased it worked out for you. Cheers, j
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: