macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Bal
    Jumps between cuts
    I am completely new to Final Cut (my first day learning) I am experiencing jumps between cuts. I put together few clips and all was good... I have no idea what I did - after applying smoothcam to one of my clip, there are short jumps between all my cuts. Please help anyone.
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Jumps between cuts
    Hi Bal, What do you mean by jumps between cuts? Do you mean you wish to have transitions in between the cuts (cross dissolve etc)? Do you mean that because of the smooth cam function and the frame being reduced in size that this causes some kind of jump between clips? Are your clips different camera shots or the same footage that you've split in FC? Thanks Rounik
  • Bal
    I just realized that I was not very specific. Sorry. All my clips come from the same camera. I am not looking for transitions. I have 7 clips. I was able to play them and all was normal. After I added smoothcam, the playback stops for a moment before each clip (which I called a jump) and I don't know what to do in order to fix it. Even if I undo the soomthcam, FC still doesn't play my sequence without stopping for a moment few frames before playing the next clip. Thank you for helping.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Bal, OK. A few more questions... 1. Is there a red bar above the clips in the timeline? 2. What playback settings do you have? 3. Does this happen if you create a new sequence and copy the clips into that sequence? 4. Does FC stop (playhead) or is there a gap between clips (so you see a black screen in the Canvas window during playback)? 5. Which version of FC are you using? 6. What are the clip properties and sequence settings? If you need guidance on where to find out the above info or how to follow a procedure let me know. :) Rounik
  • Bal
    1. Is there a red bar above the clips in the timeline? NO. 2. What playback settings do you have? DO NOT KNOW WHERE TO FIND THIS. 3. Does this happen if you create a new sequence and copy the clips into that sequence? NO. IT JUST HAPPENED FEW TIMES TO FEW DIFFERENT SEQUENCIES. 4. Does FC stop (playhead) or is there a gap between clips (so you see a black screen in the Canvas window during playback)? THERE IS NO GAP. FC STOPS FOR A MOMENT A LITTLE BIT BEFORE THE NEXT CLIP. 5. Which version of FC are you using? FC 6.0.5 6. What are the clip properties and sequence settings? FRAME SIZE: 640X480 NTSC (4:3) PIXEL ASPECT RATIO: SQUARE FIELD DOMINANCE: NONE QT VODEP SETTOMGS: CPMPRESSOR: H.264. QUALITY 100% AUDIO SETTINGS RATE 48KHZ, 16 BIT I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO FIND SEQUENCE SETTINGS
  • Bal
    I found some more info. I think these are the sequence settings: Sequence Preset: DV NTSC 48kHz Capture Preset: DV NTSC 48kHz Device Control Preset: FireWire NTSC Video Playback: None Audio Playback: Fireface 800
  • Bal
    I kept experimenting and I found out that the rendered file (while playing in QT) stopped playing 2 seconds before ending. Before rendering all 7 clips played correctly. After rendering the last clip on the timeline, they all paused for 2 seconds before jumping to the next clip. I cleared the smoothcam and all returned to normal. I have no idea what is happening. LOL Sorry if my English does not make sense. It is my forth language.
  • Bal
    I did not mention that my files are MOV. I am completely new to video and I do not know what files I can work with and what files I cannot. Would you recommend a converter?
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Bal, I really recommend you become familiar with FCP7 before jumping in to smoothcam editing. Using .mov files is fine. Smoothcam basically analyzes the video for jumpiness and crops the video frame. I don't know why that would cause some kind of delay during playback. To find your playback settings, go to the Sequence area and on the left under the 'Sequence 1' tab is a button 'RT'. Click on there and you should see either Safe RT (realtime) or RT checked. Also try the different quality settings for video playback. What about your mac? What is the spec? Ram, processor, available disc space? The issue sounds like it may be connected to your Mac rather than FC. It is a big jump to learn video without any experience or knowledge and jump straight into Final Cut. Normally people start with iMovie. It might be a good idea to start there first and then learn Final Cut when you feel more comfortable working with video. I do recommend the Final Cut 101 training: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/finalcut7101[/url] It is a very good title. Whether you decide to purchase and view the tutorial I would recommend spending some time reading the manual if possible and starting with some of the simple core concepts of video. Do feel free to post back with any further questions. Thanks Rounik
  • Bal
    I completely agree with you. I did buy 4 tutorials and I am half through the FCP 6 101. It is massive software and I will take good time to learn it. I am actually not editing any thing at the moment. I just imported 7 clips to FCP, view the tutorial, and go back to my FCP to just do what the tutorial does. So happened that I experienced this problem so early. It happens that when ever I render, the same problem acures. Thank you for your kind help.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: