macProVideo.com
Forums
  • LubDub
    Resolution loss with zoom
    Does anyone have any tips for helping out the degraded resolution when an artificial zoom is done on a clip? Are there any particularly good codecs to use that are more forgiving when a clip is zoomed into? Thanks for any feedback.
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Resolution loss with zoom
    Hi LubDub, What codecs are you using currently? How far are you zooming in? What about the clip and sequence settings of your project? Thanks Rounik
  • LubDub
    Hi, Rounik-- I'm using clips that were furnished to me as Quicktime movies from several different cameras. They include H.264 codec at 960x540, and DV/DVCPRO-(NTSC) @ 720x480. Ideally, I'd like to zoom in to over half the picture. If I've got 3 or 4 people in frame, I'd like to have a close-up of one of them. The loss of resolution starts occurring fairly quickly, and is quite soft by the time I reach the close-up. Any ideas about re-formatting the clips or other tips about improving the situation? (The cameras were all consumer level, unfortunately.) Thanks, LD
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi LD, I don't have any generic advice as the quality of the footage is hard to guage without seeing it... but I would play around with the contrast and or sharpening if the image becomes blurry... If you can get the raw footage (i.e. uncompressed) and capture it direct into FCP then you might get better results. The more often the footage is compressed the worse the end quality usually. There may be some plugins available to help, but haven't come across any... Hopefully someone else can add some other ideas too. Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: