macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Wyrisei
    Compression for YouTube
    Back then, Michael Wohl was recommending Photo-JPEG codec for YouTube videos in Compressor 3 tutorials. Is Photo-JPEG codec still a good one for preparing videos for YouTube? I also watched Compressor 3.5 tutorials by Francesco Schiavon, which I enjoyed very much; I don't think Francesco was talking about specific settings for YouTube. I noticed that Compressor 3.5 has YouTube sharing template. Is this template recommended for both HD and SD? Recently, my students (I teach composition, orchestration and music theory both classical and jazz at college) asked me about the best settings for YouTube HD and YouTube SD. I tried to find answers at great MPV but not yet found ones. If I choose H264, YouTube is GOP-compressing video that is already GOP-compressed which might result in bad quality video??? Then, I googled this topic and most seem to recommend using H264. Anybody here has good recommendation? Thank you very much!!
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Compression for YouTube
    Hello Penguin! Have you checked out Video 12 in Francesco's Compressor tutorial: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/compressor35105[/url] I haven't had a chance to take a look as I don't often upload to YouTube... but let me know if you need more assistance and I'll take a look later on today. :) Rounik
  • Wyrisei
    Thank you for your reply. I did check the video you suggested, but here Francesco is focusing on how to upload and no discussion on compression settings. To be honest, I don't use YouTube. Well, I watch videos there but never uploaded myself. Some of my students are using Quick Time Pro 7 to export videos for YouTube while some are using some other programs. That's why I want to get what kind of codec should be used (JPEG 2000, H.264, etc.) and what data rate for HD and SD so that information can be applied to different programs. If you happen to find some info and tips on this, please let me know. Thank you.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Penguin, DO your students have Hi-res movies they wish to upload (480 / 720p) or smaller sizes? It's recommended to keep a 4:3 aspect ratio. If the video is shot in 16:9 then use letter boxing (black stripe above and below video to keep it in 4:3 frame. Youtube doesn't do so well importing 16:9 aspect ratios apparently. Always make sure the source movie is high quality. Recommended settings for upload are: H.264, MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 format 640x480 (SD) or 1280x720 (HD) for 4:3 & 16:9 aspect ratios. Frame rate should be the same as original Sampling rate: 44.1KHz for MP3/AAC audio Hope that helps R
  • Wyrisei
    Hi Rounik, Thank you so much for checking the recommended specifics for YouTube! These are exact information I was looking for. I will pass along this to students. They are interested in making good quality HD (720p) video. Thanks.
  • Rounik Admin
    My Pleasure! Let me know how you and your students get on. Best R
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: