macProVideo.com
Forums
  • BluprintZ
    Mac Pro & video capture cards.
    Hi guys. I'm new to the forum and having just bought a Mac Pro, with Final cut express pre-installed, i was looking at buying the Blackmagic Design Intensity Pro HDMI card. What i want to do, is record footage from a domestic H/Disc recorder, to Final cut express via the HDMI card. Any site that supplies this card, states that it can be used with F/Cut Pro but doesn't mention if it will work with F/Cut express. Any advice most gratefully received. G ;)
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Mac Pro & video capture ca...
    Hi BluprintZ, It looks like the Blackmagic Design Intensity Pro HDMI card is compatible only with Final Cut Pro... according to their minimum specs: [url]http://www.blackmagic-design.com/support/detail.asp?techID=175#3rd_party_software[/url] Might be worth dropping them a line directly to confirm this: [url]http://www.blackmagic-design.com/support/contact/[/url] Do let us know if it does actually support Final Cut Express. Thanks Rounik
  • BluprintZ
    Cheers for the swift reply Rounik. I also had confirmation from Craig Heffernan at Creative Video this morning, that F/C Express will NOT work with the Intensity Pro Card. F/C Express is exlusively designed to work via Firewire!! Bummer, that's life i suppose. I'm assuming now, that i will need to use a camcorder as an interface for the firewire input, using either s-video or RCA jacks from the domestic hard-disc recorder, that contains the footage that i need to transfer to F/C Express. Cheers again Rounik. Many thanks, George ;)
  • Rounik Admin
    No problem George, Shame that FCE doesn't play nice with the Intensity Pro card... :( Using an existing camcorder as you mention would probably be the easiest method. Firewire is just so prevalent these days that I don't know of any cameras on the market that don't work with FW or USB at least. Best Rounik
  • BluprintZ
    Cheers for the reply Rounik. Funnily enough, i just got this reply from Vanessa Simpson, Matek Business Media Ltd, Sussex, uk. The message reads: "Hi George Thank you for your recent enquiry regarding the compatibility of the above product working with a Mac Pro with Final Cut Express. I can confirm that the Intensity Pro Card is fully conversant with your recent purchase. Kind Regards. Vanessa" Now i'm more confused than ever!! Anyway, i managed to get an ADVC 110 standalone I/O box for ã117, so i should be sorted now. I'll post the results when i've done something worth reporting. Many thanks again Rounik. G ;)
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey George, That's a cryptic reply!! I'd ask them to clarify again if it works with FCP only or does work with FCE... but perhaps they don't know... Hope the ADVC 110 works out :) Rounik
  • BluprintZ
    Yes, i agree, very confusing Rounik. I suppose i was half expecting someone on the forum to say "yep, the card works ok with F/C Express". LOL. I've bought the AD/VC capture unit, so it's a bit irrelevant now really. Anyway, i'm in the middle of refurbishing the studio, so it could well be the middle of next week before everything is up`n running again, so i'll let you know how things are with the set-up then. Many thanks again guys, G; )
  • BluprintZ
    Hi guys. Rather than start a new thread, i thought it best if i keep this one running, seeing as the nature of the content is a continuation of the previous posts. Last week, i connected the AD/VC capture unit and the M-Audio audiophile I/O box to the Mac, both via firewire. I used Logic express (pre-installed) to record the weekly podacasts for a client last Friday, no problems. On Wednesday of this week, i recorded about 2 minutes of footage from my standalone H/Disc recorder, to Final cut express - via the AD/VC capture unit. The two minute recording was just a test, to make sure everything was doing what it should be, again no probs. Yesterday, i fired all of the gear up and was hoping to spend the day recording the full footage from the Disc recorder, to Final cut express, about an hours worth. Sods law... if something can go wrong, it usually does...and it did. Four times i had to do a "force quit", due to F/C Express freezing up, so i tried recording to imovie instead, same problem, it froze. I then shut down the Mac and removed the firewire connectors from the Mac, re-booted and loaded F/C Express up. No problems with freezing, even when i imported the 2 minute footage from the previous test run, so i'm thinking that the AD/VC capture unit may be at fault. To confirm this (or not), i'll be borrowing a DV cam off a friend tomorrow and i'll see if that does the trick, if so then the AD/VC will be returned to the supplier as faulty. I'll keep you posted on the results. George ; )
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi George, Thanks for the update! Do you have the latest drivers for the M-Audio Audiophile? Have you tried using only the AD/VC unit connected to your Mac (sans M-audio's audio interface)... do that also cause FCE and iMovie to force quit? Thanks Rounik
  • BluprintZ
    Hi Rounik. Yes, i disconnected the M-Audio cable and re-booted with just the AD/VC connected. Although today, i managed to get about 27 minutes of footage recorded, then the preview screen in F/C turned blue and the coloured beachball started turning, as though it was either saving the file, or F/C had frozen, so i had to do a force quit! I did change the scratch disc from the secondary disc drive, to the system disc drive before i started recording today, so that may have helped possibly. I didn't get a chance to borrow a DV Cam today, so i'll try during the next week and see if that helps or not. On the front of the AD/VC unit, it has two lights that you can toggle, between Digital in and Analogue in. A button on top of the unit is used to toggle between the two input sources. I've noticed a couple of times that the unit has changed from Analogue to Digital input, by itself! It's starting to get frustrating now, i should have had the footage on the computer by now and be editing it, instead of trying to sort this problem out. What really winds me up, is a woman down the road from me, she's using Windows Movie-Maker on her Acer laptop and turning out some decent vids on Youtube. I've just bought a Mac Pro for nearly 3k (including the AD/VC and M-Audio unit) and i'm having these problems! Maybe i should sell up and buy a laptop instead? Cheers for the reply Rounik. George ; )
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: