macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Adrien B
    Canon Vixia HV40 - 24p question and FCE... HELP!
    Hello! I have the Canon Vixia HV40. It uses HDV digital tape (which is miniDV I believe). Canon's website says the camera can do 1920x1080 which is more than other cameras can do because of the tape limitations (or so I thought). Here is the specifications page: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/camcorders/consumer_camcorders/vixia_hv40#Specifications) Wikipedia's HDV page says about this camcorder: "In 2009 Canon released the HV40. Its 60 Hz variant became the first consumer HDV camcorder to feature 24-frame/s native progressive recording. Like the aforementioned Sony models, the HV40 uses true progressive-scan sensor." After being confused as to whether it is 1080p, I contacted Canon and they said that it is 1080i; however it has 24p and 30p modes. I plan on using the 24p mode. This is what Canon says: "The way it works is it takes and shoots it as 24p or 30p then encodes it to the tape as 60i. So no pull down method is used to create the 24p and 30p footage. It takes this footage in a progressive manner. The tapes though are 60i, so to over come this the odd and even lines of the progressive frame are separated to allow it to go on the tape. When it is transferred the camera puts the odd and even lines back together for each frame so that the footage remains progressive." With this information, can I use Final Cut Express? I am not sure since the camera does do work to make it progressive on a interlaced tape (see Canon quote above). I don't want to lose video quality. As I understand it, Final Cut Express supports interlaced, but not progressive; so what does that mean for this particular camera since the camera does "progressive" in some way. I am clearly confused. Thank you for any advice you can provide!
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: