macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Sven
    Can't access clip settings
    Hi Have used Express for some time. New to Pro. Installed Pro 7 (7.0.3) recently and captured some clips. My problem is that when I go Modify - Clip Settings... I only get a popup window saying "No items have files that are applicable to this operation.". I capture from my HV20 i.e. HDV 1080i50 (25P). I've tried various Easy Setup settings but no luck. I can see the clips and sequence settings though and they match. Reinstalled today using FCS Remover but same thing - can't access the clip settings. Installed the update from Apple too. Everything else seems ok but need to change the Field Dominance. Have search the web but only get a few hits and no solution. Hope for your help before contacting Apple. Any ideas?
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Can't access clip settings
    Hi Sven, Welcome to the forums! Can I suggest a few things... - Create a new project and re-import your captured clips. - Create a new Sequence - don't worry about the settings - and drag your clips into the new Sequence. - Final Cut will ask if you want to match clip and sequence settings. Choose "Yes/OK". - Do you still see the same issue? If so, can you send a screenshot of your Bin and of the Sequence. (Are there red lines through the media in the Bin?.... Is there a red bar above the clips in the Sequence?) Thanks Rounik
  • Sven
    Rounik! Thanks for the welcome and for trying to help me out. Much appreciated. - I set Easy Setup to HDV - 1080i50 FireWire Basic (tried many others before) - Created a new project and captured the clips again using the Log and Capture window and Capture Now. Can't access the clips settings. - Created a new project and reimported the captured clips. Can't access the clips settings. - Created a new sequence and dragged the clips into the timeline. I did not get a question on mathcing settings. Tried to access the clips settings in the browser. No luck. No red bars, only grey. However I had unrendered stuff in previous tests but it didn't affected anything. Here's the settings for the sequence and the clips from the above test. [img]http://www.w2live.se/sven/clipsettings.png[/img] [img]http://www.w2live.se/sven/sequencesettings.png[/img] Another thing I can't wrap my head around is why I sometimes get the Log and Capture window and sometimes I get the Easy Setup automatic window that just capture.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Sven, Thanks for the extra info and screenshots. This is a real head-scratcher... I'm not near Final Cut right now... the only things that comes to mind is to check that the Sequence Audio format matches the Clip Audio Format. In your case change the Sequence's audio settings to 16-bit integer. Hopefully that'll help. Not sure why you're not getting the message to "match sequence and clip settings..."?? You are completely up to date with the FCS updates and the ProKit (all available through Software Update)? Thanks Rounik
  • Sven
    Noticed the diff in audio but don't know how to change it to 16 integer for the sequence. If I change the codec for the sequence and add a clip to it I get the match popup. Doesn't rid the problem though. On a fresh install I have version 7.0 and after running Software Update I get a "Pro Application Update 2010-02" which pops me up to 7.0.3. I asked a friend to bring his FCP CD over to try other media. Uninstalled using FCS Remover - rebooted - emptied trash - rebooted - installed his FCP - rebooted - updated to latest version - rebooted - tried different settings but can't still get to the clip settings. Reason I need to alter the clip settings is to change the Field Dominance to None so I can edit in progressive. Maybe there is another way? Here's a pic on the error popup just for the sake of it. [img]http://www.w2live.se/sven/error.png[/img] Will contact Apple. Getting irritated. :-( Thanks for trying though.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Sven, Sorry I've not been able to be more helpful. This is an odd error that I've never encountered. Out of interest, what exact version of OSX are your running? Can you try a workaround... 1. open one of the shorter clips you've captured in QuickTime Pro -- NOT Quicktime X (you can install QuickTime 7 direct from the OSX install DVD if it's not already on your system). 2. Choose file > Export... 3. Select Quicktime Movie and click on "Options..." 4. Choose Settings and switch the Compression type to the best one to suit your original footage. e.g. HDV 1080p 30 for example. Set the frame rate and click Done. 5. Choose the sound format as Aiff 48kHz and 16-bit. And then export your file. 6. Now drag the exported file into FCP and see if you get the same issue - in both the same sequence or a new sequence. Hope this helps Rounik
  • Sven
    Found a workaround. If I open up the Item Properties for a clip I can in that window actually change the field dominance by Ctrl + click. Only works one at a time though so that sucks (any way to create macros?). All this because I wanna edit in all progressive mode. Thinking of dropping that idea though. Btw your suggestion didn't work. Running Snow leopard (10.6.6) on an iMac 9,1 with 8GB RAM.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Sven, Glad to know you found a workaround. Thanks for sharing it here. Compressor is an application used to compress and convert batch processes... I wonder if you could send the clips to Compressor - even from a Sequence and then have it convert them for you... Not near Final Cut for the next couple of days so don't have a chance to test this out... Let us know how you get on. :) Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: