macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Rounik Admin
    Final Cut Pro X
    Since Apple Demo'd FCPX back in April there's been a lot of buzz going around the video editing world. Apparently it's going to be released sometime in June! Well, we're in June and I'm excited... really excited. Some people saw the demo and thought FCPX is just a glorified iMovie... and to be honest that was my first impression from looking at the interface. However, I don't think that's a bad thing... and Apple are famous for creating simple interfaces on top of powerful feature sets... So, what do you think about the new FCPX? Excited? Anxious? Gonna stick with FCP7?
  • Hisham
    Re: Final Cut Pro X
    Hi Rounik Thanks for posting this. It is a long awaited product and because of this fact, it is going to get lots of attention. I really appreciate the fact that Apple has designed the whole product from the bottom up using core HW features and OSX. With that we'll have a new interface and surely another learning curve. But I will approach this new release with an open mind. I expect that after the initial "where can I find..." or "how do I do this now ...", we soon get to see the real power of a new, simple and efficient workflow and other product features. I am looking forward to purchasing FCP X as soon as it get available. I will drop another comment here about my first 'usage impression'. But here is another question for everyone. Where do we see Motion, Soundtrack and DVD Studio Pro going?
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Hisham, Me too. A complete re-write was something a lot of FCP users have been calling for... FCPX though also needed to be 64-bit (which I believe is one reason a complete re-write was in order). It really looks like Apple have re-invented the Video Editing paradigm... but again, you're very right better to wait and see ;-) So, far though, I'me excited by the: - Magnetic timeline - 64-bit - Background rendering - audio cleanup and motion analyses on import - color correction/matching - and did I mention background rendering! Good question about Motion, STP and DVDSP. With the new audio editing features in FCPX is there a need for STP? Also, Apple have been moving themselves away from DVD and physical media for a while... although it would upset a lot of people, I wonder if DVDSP will go the way of iDVD... simple include the older version without any enhancements? What do you think?
  • Hisham
    Yes, the 64bit, the background rendering and the other features all sound good. In fact, I am thinking of shooting some new HD video for the "virgin editing" on FCP X. [b]STP[/b]: Okay the editing functions, filters and other tools can (& mostly are) be included in FCP, the main advantage of STP was the REAL sound editing interface and the precision editing possibilities (levels, needles and stuff). That is really the main advantage and not to be underestimated. [b]MOTION[/b]: I think this can be doable within FCP X but a dedicated interface would provide a much 'cleaner and effective' workflow. Unless the new interface has some brilliance we shall yet to discover. But I think Motion will become a separate pack downloadable from the App store in due course, alongside with STP too. [b]DVD[/b]: This one I agree with you. I don't think major DVD developments will happen. Potentially having a super iDVD or migrating iDVD into DVD SP (Lets call it iDVDPro). In fact, I wonder why we need an optical drive on Macs at all. Apart from playing DVD or backing up, we could potentially use an external drive and save space on the devices (MacBook Air). Not to mention that Steve Jobs even mentioned that MacBook Air are the future computers, and at that time I was thinking what he really mean by that, especially because these machines are not as powerful as their cousins MacBook Pros. Maybe he meant that the future computers may not have an optical drive, make more use of iCloud and become more portable. Hence, the use of optical drives and therefore SW enhancements for DVD may not be as needed as the market changes. I think the next MacBook generations will tell us a lot.
  • Rounik Admin
    The proof will be in the pudding then ;-) ... Can't wait to get editing in FCP X. I hope STP continues to evolve too. STP is very much a part of my workflow as a Logic user. Love it's audio editing features. Motion: From the Apple sneak peek demo I've seen FCP X does have titling and other motion features... but by the looks of it no where near as comprehensive as Motion. I'm very hopeful too that Apple will be creating a new Motion 5. Compressor: This is one of my fave utilities. Waiting to see whether this will still be a stand alone application or included as part of FCP X. Definitely agree, Apple have been moving away from physical media for a long time now... and that partly explains their refusal to fully support and include Blu ray across their range of hardware. Personally, I think Blu ray won't last the distance and Apple are travelling in the right direction for the long term here. ... and yes... There will surely be a day when the MacBookPro range no longer has built-in optical drive... bring on the size and weight of the Air with the power of the MBP!! It's gonna be an interesting next couple of years. :)
  • Rounik Admin
    My First Look Review of Final Cut Pro X is live on The Hub: [url]http://bit.ly/iRhyZu[/url] Check it out and please do add your voice under the article with any comments or questions.
  • David Petree
    Not Found We're sorry, the post you are looking for cannot be found. Please try the search, choose a category, or browse our recent articles.
  • Christian L
    Here's the correct link : [url]http://bit.ly/kEELqW[/url] Cheers! :)
  • jackaldridge
    I think the fact that Apple has refunded the purchase price to many users (per postings on another forum) answers this question for a lot of people. The reviews on the App Store are running 2 to 1 (bad versus good). Having just purchased Final Cut Studio a few months ago and finding it is no longer even offered says a lot about where Apple puts their emphasis. Whether FCP7 will run on 'Lion' is still an unanswered question. Frankly I'm shifting to Premiere Pro ( a decision I was considering before I bought FCS). There is a very interesting blog post on creativecow.com by two pro users who say they can't make FCPX work in their businesses. While it is indeed still 'early' in the process of looking at FCPX I must say most people seem disappointed based on what I have read. (By the way... this is NOT an attempt to start the debate about the whole FCPX debacle which seems to be running on ad nauseam... just my own musings...)
  • Hisham
    There is definitely a learning curve for the new FCPX. Apple - as a company - creates disruptive technologies that users sometimes struggle with in the first phases. In the 'long' run we tend to discover the genius as we go. Apple also endeavour to make things better and better, once they believe in the foundation. I trust their ability to learn and respond to improvement suggestions. On the other hand, I would not really worry too much about Apple refunding people for the their FCPX purchases, I know heaps others who would pay double to keep their version. See what works for you. If you are new to FCP, FCPX could be an advantage, as you will embrace it without previous 'baggage'. If you are an experienced power user than you may want to continue your FCP and learn FCPX on your own at your own pace. If you already bought FCP7, you may want to have a chat to Apple to exchange your recent purchase with FCPX. A kindly request can get you far sometimes. Cheers Hisham
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: