macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Final Cut Pro X
    Wohl's discussion of replace edit is incorrect...
    Michael, you may want to clarify in your tutorial 11 "Replace Edits" that the new Replace only works with the Select tool and NOT the Position tool. Also, you misspoke at the beginning when you say "[Replace] it uses the existing the duration of the clip in the sequence to determine the length". This is NOT true for the simple Replace which you then go on to show IGNORES the duration of the clip in the sequence. Overall, the tutorials are great. And, truth be told, I am one of the few who is really getting into FCP X. Yea, it's TOTALLY DIFFERENT from FCP 7, but one can see the potential. There's gonna be a learning curve for it, though. Wish Apple had built a better bridge from FCP 7 to this, that's my only complaint.
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Wohl's discussion of replace edit is incorrect...
    I see what you mean, but I think Michael explains it well. In the beginning 1st minute or so Michael says (of Replace Edit function in FCO X): "Replace Edit let's you exchange one clip for another..." "... The advantage to a replace edit is it uses the existing duration of the clip in the sequence (Timeline) to determine what the new clip is going to be..." I can see why you interpreted it in the way you did, but he doesn't actually say the new clip will be the same duration as the replaced clip... Then he demonstrates the 'simple' replace edit and points out that the new clip duration is different to the replaced shot. The point it the starting point is the same. Later on he demonstrates the different replace edit functions that maintain the duration with the replaced clip and positions the new clip by the end or start point as specified from the range selection made in the Event Browser. I don't remember Michael saying that Replace edits only work using the Select Tool in that video - but he's right... I mean you can't use the Position tool to replace edit... can you?
  • Final Cut Pro X
    Re: Wohl's discussion of replace edit is incorrect...
    The replace edit doesn't seem to care WHAT the length of the clip is on the timeline when in the default mode. Thus, his statement "... The advantage to a replace edit is it uses the existing duration of the clip in the sequence (Timeline) to determine what the new clip is going to be..." is not at all accurate for the Replace default mode. For the other two modes, what he says is accurate.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: