macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Hegujuo
    Can you do a "fit to fill" edit in FCP X???
    Do you know if it's possible to do a "Fit to Fill" edit in FCP X??? When I use the Retiming Tool on a clip to slow it down, I just wind up pushing the other clips further to the right. I wish I could retime a clip to make it fit into a gap between two other clips...the way i could in FCP 7 using the Fit to Fill command. Thanks in advance for any advice on this topic. Best, - Nick
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Can you do a "fit to fill" edit in FCP X???
    Hi Nick, AFAIK, it's simply not possible to do this kind of edit in FCP X yet. Now, I emphasise "yet" because there's a few editors around with their fingers crossed that Apple will add this function in an update. Here's hoping :) Rounik
  • Hegujuo
    Re: Can you do a
    Thanks for replying Rounik. I do hope so. I just can't understand why that feature was left out. I've used it so many times. The thing is: if you place a clip in a secondary story line, you can then stretch it with the retiming tool in a "fit to fill" manner with the timeline in P mode (position tool). But for some reason snapping doesn't work when you use the retiming tool. Even with snapping turned on, you'll find that as you "Retime" the clip you will end up either dragging short of or beyond the next edit, but you won't be able to snap to the edit. Why is it that snapping doesn't work in Retime mode? That's a real shame. But hopefully they'll have that fixed soon.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Nick, I agree, it's a shame it's not already implemented - a bit like Multi-cam support. But it's important to remember that FCP X is a brand new application built from the ground up. I hope and expect that Apple are keen to add new features to what is essentially a 1.0 release of FCP X. We'll have to keep an eye out for updates :)
  • Hegujuo
    My feelings exactly. I agree, FCP X has a lot of potential and could become a really powerful application. But those updates can't come a minute too soon. I check macrumors.com every day for any sign of an update.
  • BenB
    There is an easy workaround for this. Before Retiming the clip, highlight it, hit Cntrl+D. This will give you the clips current duration in the Dashboard. Make a note of that duration. Regime the clip as needed. Again, highlight the clip, Cnrtl+D, then type in the original duration, hit return. This ripples the Out Point of the clip. End result, retiming without the rippling.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: